4 posts Page 1 of 1
This is a lovely dense bread, delicious toasted with flaxseed oil and marmite.

Breadmaker method, makes one loaf

This is even better set on timer.

1/2 cup kibbled wheat
1/4 cup linseed
1/2 cup bran flakes
2 cups boiling water

2 teaspoons Surebake yeast
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 1/2 - 1 3/4 cups high grade flour
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/4 cup sesame seeds
scant 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
scant 1/4 cup sunflower seeds

Soak kibbled wheat, linseed, bran flakes in boiling water for 15 minutes.
Place ingredients in breadmaker in order specified for your breadmaker, adding soaked grains last.
Bake on multigrain setting.

By hand (makes 2 loaves) - no kneading needed!
3 1/2 cups boiling water
1 cup kibbled wheat
1/2 cup linseed
1 cup rolled oats or bran flakes
1/2 cup warm water
1 teaspoon sugar
2 teaspoons dried yeast
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
2 cups wholemeal flour
3 - 3 1/2 cups high grade flour
2 1/2 teaspoons salt
Soy milk mixed with water to glaze
1/2 cup each sesame seeds and pumpkin seeds

Soak kibbled wheat, linseed and oats in boiling water and leave to absorb for 15 minutes.
Put warm water, sugar and yeast in a separate bowl. Leave for 5 minutes to froth, mix in oil and combine with warm, soaked grains.
Add wholemeal flour, 1 cup of high grade flour, salt, mix 20 times with a heavy spoon or beater. Should be like a very thick batter. Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise overnight in a cool place, or for 2 hours in a warm place.
Heat oven to 190 deg C (180 deg C on fan bake). Grease 2 loaf tins. Mix remaining white flour into mix, divide between pans. Brush tops with glaze and sprinkle with sesame and pumpkin seeds.
Cover with plastic wrap and leave to rise for 30 minutes in a warm place, then bake for 40-50 minutes until loaves sound hollow when tapped. Leave to stand for 5 minutes before turning out of the tins.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Yay Wendy! The bread maker is my new toy and I was going to ask you if you had a good grain bread recipe :lol:
Is the linseed whole or ground? I am assuming whole seeing you have not specified.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Yes it's whole linseeds, adds to the nice grainy texture. Ground linseeds are quite 'gluggy' in baking, a great egg substitute though if you soak them in water!
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
This has a lovely flavour Wendy I had it for breakfast this morning. I have put rest in freezer :D

I would imagine we could play with ingredients if we like a lighter bread.

Thanks!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
4 posts Page 1 of 1