4 posts Page 1 of 1
If anyone is missing crisps or biscuits this is a delicious snack which has been giving me (and my 2year old son) a good fix for a while now!

2 cups whole flaxseeds
approx 2 cups water
sea salt to taste
1 tbsp fresh minced herbs (optional) (dried herbs are good too, just use less of them, I used mixed herbs and some cayenne powder for a bit of a kick)

Preparation:

In a bowl, cover the flax seed crackers with water and soak for at least 1 1/2 hours. The water will turn to a gelatinous goo. Check the mixture, and add more water if needed. You want the mixture to be gooey, but not runny, and not too thick.

Add the sea salt and herbs. You can also get creative and add some extra flavors - a quirt of lime juice, minced ginger, soy sauce, chili powder or cayenne pepper - depending on your tastes.

Spread the mixture about 1/8 inch thick on a baking tray, on some baking paper.

Put in the oven on 110 degrees for about 4 hours (up to 6 hours depending on how crunchy you want them).

Once out the oven you can break the cracker up into pieces.

I've been storing in a tupperware box, I don't know how long they would last for as I eat them up pretty quickly!

It sounds like a complete hassle to make but in fact isn't as bad as it sounds, I've found it really worth it as I've been really missing my snack foods!
Hey Kate

That sounds great and so flexible. The snack food is what is a problem for us as there is only so many apples, smoothies etc you can eat a day (we don't seem to get on with bread). Will give this a go and let you know how we get on.

Cheers
Marcus
Hi Marcus, I'm so pleased you like the look of this. If you don't mind a bit of prep work this is really good.

I agree with you on the fruit and smoothie option.. especially with the colder weather coming up!

You can use it instead of toast and pitta, and put spreads and dips on it too, Homemade pates, guacamole, salsas... etc

Happy snacking!
Kate
Thank You Kate!!! Your crackers seems delish and I can't wait to try them.... I miss chips terribly to eat with a good yummy dip, specially my favorite "Stacey Pita Chips"". I am looking forward to make a big batch this weekend. Thank you for sharing.

Maria.
4 posts Page 1 of 1