2 posts Page 1 of 1
This recipe is from 'River Cottage Gluten Free' by Naomi Devlin.

Although this looks like an extremely long recipe, it is actually ok - once you have the sourdough starter you can keep it going in the fridge, and the bread it makes is good and not too heavy, plus very OMS friendly. It's the most successful gluten free bread I have made. I make 2 loaves at the same time, and slice it thinly to put in the freezer, with pieces of baking paper in between slices so it doesn't stick together. The original recipe had 50g butter - I replace this with 40g apple puree and 10ml EVOO, but I expect you could do 50g apple puree and it would be fine. I make oat flour by grinding oats in the food processor.

Brown rice sourdough starter

This sourdough will work with a mixed white and brown rice flour, such as Doves Farm's version, but not with a pure white rice flour. Don't be tempted to use tap water - the chlorine it contains will inhibit the fermenting process.

You can also make starters with teff, quinoa, sorghum, millet or buckwheat flours, but I find a rice starter the mildest flavoured and cheapest to maintain.

Day 1
150g brown rice flour
200g tepid mineral or filtered water
A small bunch of unwashed organic grapes

Mix the flour and water together in a bowl and settle the grapes into the paste, still on their stalks. Cover with a polythene bag or plate and leave in a warm place for 24 hours.

Day 2
45g brown rice flour
60g tepid mineral or filtered water

Lift out the grapes carefully and discard. Stir the mixture well and add the flour and water, then stir again. Re-cover and leave for another 24 hours.

Day 3
45g brown rice flour
60g tepid mineral or filtered water

Stir the mixture, then add the flour and water, and stir again. By now the starter should be starting to bubble and smell a little yeasty. Re-cover and leave for another 24 hours.

Day 4
90g brown rice flour
120g tepid mineral or filtered water

Stir, then add the flour and water, and stir again. Re-cover and leave for a final 24 hours.

Day 5

After leaving it to stand for the final 24 hours, you will have a starter ready to make bread and pancakes with. Transfer the starter to a plastic container with a cover for storing in the fridge. (You cloud also use a kilner type jar without the rubber seal - do not use a glass container with a tight lid, in case gases build up and cause the glass to crack.)

If your starter does not look bubbly after 4 days, just feed it for another couple of days, as per day 2, and keep it in a warmer place, or stand the container in a warm bath of water to encourage the yeast along.

Keep your starter in the fridge and refresh it with 90g brown rice flour and 120g tepid water the day you want to use it. Mix in the flour and water and then bring it up to room temperature by standing the container in some warm water for an hour or so, until the starter has risen up and looks moussey. This is the right amount of feed for one loaf, so if you're making more than one loaf, increase the quantity of flour according to how many loaves you are baking. You will be left with enough starter to maintain the culture between bakes. Your starter will be happy in the fridge for a couple of weeks between feeds.

Oat and Chestnut Sandwich Bread

For the sponge:
100g brown rice sourdough starter
175g rice flour
100g chestnut flour
60g oat flour
15g ground linseed
450g tepid non-dairy milk or water, or mixture of both

For the sourdough:
12g fresh yeast, or 4g quick dried
100g potato starch
10ml extra virgin olive oil
40g apple puree
2 egg whites
2 tsp psyllium husks
1 tsp liquid pectin (optional)
7g sea salt
Handful of rolled oats or ground linseed for sprinkling

Equipment:
1kg (2lb) loaf tin

First, mix the sponge ingredients together in a large bowl, cover and set aside at room temperature for 3-6 hours, or overnight in a cool place, until it has risen up a little. (The longer you leave it, the more sour tasting the loaf will be.)

When you are ready to start the loaf, if using fresh yeast, mash it in a small bowl with a little of the wet sponge mix until smooth. Add back to the sponge bowl, along with the rest of the sourdough ingredients except the oats or linseed. Beat well with a wooden spoon or your hands until the mixture is lump free. If using the dried yeast, beat into the sponge mix and rest for 15 minutes, before adding the other sourdough ingredients.

Line the loaf tin with baking parchment, or oil the inside of the tin and coat with rolled oats or ground linseed. Scrape the mixture into the tin, level with a spoon and sprinkle with more oats or linseed.

Leave to rise, uncovered, in a warm place for about an hour, until the dough has risen by about a third and little cracks appear in the top. If your kitchen is cool, give it an extra 30 minutes, but do not let it over rise or you will have a big hole in your bread.

When the loaf is almost ready, preheat the oven to 230 C/Fan 210 C/Gas 8. At the same time, put a roasting tray on bottom shelf and boil a kettle of water.

Very gently ease the loaf tin into the oven - if you tap or bang it at this stage it will collapse, as there is no gluten in mixture to hold the bubbles in. Pour boiling water into the roasting tray to half fill it. This will create a nice steamy atmosphere that helps swell the loaf and create a thin, crisp crust.

Bake for 20 min, then turn the oven down to 200 C/Fan 180 C/Gas 6 and bake for another 45 min. When the loaf has been in the oven for 30 min, cover it loosely with foil to stop it burning, but note that the crust will be fairly dark anyway. Take the foil off 5-10 min before the end of baking to avoid a soggy crust.

The loaf is ready when it has shrunk away from the sides of the tin a little and sounds hollow when tapped on top. Leave it in the tin for 10 minutes, then lift out and press the side of the loaf with your fingers to see if it feels firm. If not just put it back in the oven without the tin at 180 C/Fan 160 C/Gas 4 for another 10-15 min to dry out the crumb a little.

Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool. Leave until completely cold before slicing. Any bread that will not be eaten within 24 hours is best frozen in slices.
Good recipe what I actually for a long time. I love eating bread so it will definitely work for me
2 posts Page 1 of 1