4 posts Page 1 of 1
I finally found Masa Harina to make the cornbread in the OMS cookbook.

Masa harina is dried and hulled corn meal.
I think burrito is just the word for a tortilla that has been filled with something.

The brand is a US import, Bob's Red Mill
http://www.aussiewell.com.au/p/9256450/Bobs-Red-Mill-Organic-Golden-Corn-Flour-Masa-Harina---oz.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjpKIzaqo1gIVhx5oCh1uVgaKEAQYBCABEgKvt_D_BwE

It comes with an OMS-friendly tortilla recipe on it:

Organic Corn Tortillas
2 cups Organic Masa Harina Corn Flour
tsp Sea Salt
1 to 2 cups hot water

Mix salt into the masa harina corn flour. Slowly pour the water into the dough to reach a good consistency. The dough should be firm and springy when touched, not dry or sticky. Let rest for about an hour, covered with a damp towel.

Preheat a griddle or flat surface to medium-high heat. Divide the dough into 2-inch balls. Press dough between two pieces of waxed paper, or flatten according to a tortilla press's instructions, into 6-inch circles. Place flattened dough on a hot griddle or flat surface and cook until the top of the tortilla starts to look cooked, about 1 minute. Flip to the other side and cook for another minute. Makes 24 six-inch tortillas.
Many 'recipes' for burritos are just filling a bought tortilla.
Many recipes for making tortillas aren't OMS-friendly either.
Hilariously I found one recipe that had masa harina in the title but not the ingredients.
The dis- and mis- information age goes on.
When cooking Tortillas in a dry pan the top will puff up a little on the first cook, (the more consistent the heat in the pan, the more they puff), when you flip it over to the second side, they will puff a lot more, almost like a Pita pocket!

Here's the youtube video I followed the first few times I made them. Flour tortillas
Be well, live long and prosper!
Cheers,
Michael
Thanks for the recipe
Just a couple of questions.

What type of flour do you use ? Bread flour or all-purpose flour ?

I suppose that cooked tortillas freeze well. But how to defrost them ? From the freezer to a pan, or to microwave ? Is it necessary to let them thaw first in the fridge ?

Which wine do you consider pairing it well? I found some recommendations on https://haywines.co.uk/ but need some real life experiences
4 posts Page 1 of 1