7 posts Page 1 of 1
Here are my top sandwiches you can eat to get more seafood and omega 3 in your diet.

Smoked Salmon on Sourdough
This is a really easy lunch and will taste great provided you use good ingredients. I use Huon Tasmanian smoked salmon, a good sourdough bread (Sol is great if you live in Brisbane), Haas avocado which I smear over the bread like you would butter, Murray River pink salt, and freshly ground pepper. Sometimes I toast the bread to make it a little crunchy.

Tuna & Celery on Grain Bread
To make the sandwich, I mix a tin of tuna, some sliced celery and a dollop of mayonnaise with salt and pepper in a bowl then spread it onto some country grain bread with linseeds. I like the crunch of the celery. Sometimes I also add sliced spring onion (scallion). I have since learned that there is very little omega 3 left in the tuna by the time it reaches the can – shame.

A Crab Sandwich
Combine shredded picked crab meat, a dollop of mayonnaise or aioli, a squeeze of lemon juice, and salt & pepper to taste. Mix together and spread over the bread. Top with greens such as lettuce, spinach or rocket. Optional seasonings – pinch of chilli powder or cayenne pepper, or some chopped parsley.

Prawn Baguette
Peel some cooked prawns and de-vein. Top the baguette with some prawns, avocado, cucumber slices or lettuce and some mayonnaise. A bit of salt & freshly cracked pepper, maybe a squeeze of lemon, and you’re done.

Sardines
The best Omega 3 sandwich would have to be sardines. They eat sardines on toast in Italy, Spain and Portugal all the time, but until I went on my OMS retreat, I had never eaten sardines. When I did have them, I was surprised how mild tasting they were. I expected them to be really salty like anchovies, but they’re not.
I toast a couple of slices of organic rye bread, then top with tomato slices, sardines, a little lemon zest, chilli (optional), garlic (optional) and salt & pepper. Place under the grill/broiler for a couple of minutes, then top with some chopped parsley and a squeeze of lemon juice.

Whatever sandwich you make, using good bread always makes it taste better. I always try to eat wholegrain or rye bread, but I have a soft spot for sourdough.
I use my silken tofu mayonnaise recipe for these sandwiches. (see OMS mayonnaise under dips and sauces)

Photos can be seen here - http://frommydeck.com/2013/04/11/omega- ... mment-1766

Wendy, I didn't know where to put sandwiches so I put them in Bakery. Please move the post if there is a better category.

Moved to Side Dish Wendy:Moderator Can I come to lunch at your place!

Hope everybody is being well,
Kylie
Be sure to use the OMS-friendly mayonnaise in Kaybe's recipe here: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3712
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
These sound great. :D

Quick question, how long does the mayo keep for and can it be frozen?

Thanks

Brian
Thanks for the mayo mention Sue.

Brian - I don't have access to a test kitchen, so for food health and safety reasons I can only suggest that you keep the mixture for 2-3 days. However, I usually keep mine up to a week. You can freeze silken tofu. There is a good article on silken tofu at the Kitchn here - http://www.thekitchn.com/silken-tofu-an ... iew-171294
Hope this answers your question. Cheers Kaybe
Thanks Kaybe

I've made a batch of this and as you say it, was very good.

I froze a small amount as a bit of an experiment, will be interesting to see how it defrosts.

Cheers

Brian
Thanks Brian - please let us all know how the freezing goes. Haven't tried it yet, so I would be interested to hear.
Kaybe
7 posts Page 1 of 1