13 posts Page 2 of 2
Thankyou Simonek!!!!!!!!!! These hot cross buns were to die for!!!!!!

Am currently vegetating on the couch after eating myself sick on these delicious morsels!!!!

Happy Easter :D
They are devine aren't they!! I was thinking about making a second batch, but I won't be, I ate far too many!!
sorry! i know its late but this is a recipe i adapted and i want to eat hot cross buns all year round (and my attempts over easter failed)
dont know if its completely OK for us but others can ammend futher?

Hot Cross Buns

Makes 16 approx.
1¼ cups soy milk
3/4 cup caster sugar
2 small (7g) sachets dried yeast
4 cups plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice
¾ cup sultanas
Replace 1 egg (1 banana)
60ml Extra virgin olive oil
3 Tbs golden syrup

Paste for crosses:
â…“ cup plain flour
1 Tbs caster sugar
¼ cup water

Warm the milk and place it into a bowl with the yeast and sugar. Stir until combined and the yeast has dissolved. Set aside in a warm place for about 10 minutes until foamy.

Sift flour into a large bowl; add spices and a pinch of salt then stir in dried fruit.

Add olive oil along with the yeast mixture and egg replacer to the flour and fruit. (I used a breadmaker at this point and put it on the dough cycle for 8mins). Sprinkle a little flour in a clean bowl or use a tiny amount of XV olive oil to grease, place the dough in and cover with plastic wrap. Stand in a warm place for about 1 hour or until doubled in size.

Divide dough into 16 - 18 equal-sized pieces and roll into balls (about 50cm). Place in a greased 23cm square cake tin and think of the final size of the buns and leave enough room for them to rise (you may not fit all the rolled balls in the pan). Cover with plastic wrap then stand in a warm place for about 30 minutes or until the buns have risen to the level of the tin's rim.

Preheat oven to 170°C. Pipe the paste (see below) into crosses over the top.

Bake for 35mins or until golden. Turn on to a wire rack. Brush warmed golden syrup over the top of hot buns as a glaze.

Serve warm.

Paste for crosses:

Combine flour and sugar in a small bowl; slowly add enough water while mixing to form a smooth paste, but be careful to not make it too runny. Spoon mixture into a piping bag.

My first attempt at this failed because i tried to fit too many in the pan and the buns didn’t cook in the centre of the tray.
1st sign no diagnosis Oct 1999, DX 2007, SPMS 2011.
13 posts Page 2 of 2