Lemon Meringue Pie

Pastry

1 Cup Self Raising Flour
1 egg white
1 Tablespoon oil
1/4 Cup sugar
2 Tablespoons soy milk or oat milk

Combine Flour and sugar. Whisk egg white, mix in oil and milk. Add to Flour
and fold together. Roll Out pastry and put in pie dish. Blind bake for 10-15 mins
or until lightly browned. Cool (you will need to fill pastry case with rice or beans to
blind bake to stop it rising too much)

Filling
1/2 Cup fresh lemon juice
1/2 Cup sugar
1/2 Cup water
5 Tablespoons custard powder
1/2 Cup Soy milk

In a saucepan heat all ingredients except milk. Using whisk blend ingredients together
until mix comes to boil, whisk in milk. Cool

Meringue
4 egg whites
3/4 Cup castor sugar

Beat egg whites till stiff peaks form, then gradually add sugar.

Assemble pie then bake in 180 degree fan forced for 10-15 min or until browned.
Hope you like
Thanks Maree, I never would of thought of using custard powder - genius!
I'l give it a try this weekend.
Hi Shelley, wish I was the genius but it came from cook books called Symply Cooking by Anette Sym.
Low Fat cook books that I change to suit us. She used evaporated milk in the filling but
just as good with soy.
Actually I noticed in woolies the other day that Carnation have brought out soy evaporated milk - haven't had a chance to look at the ingredients list though....
I have seen the carnation soy milk on the shelves one week and not the next, obviously wasn't popular.
Think it might be made with soy isolate which isnt supposed to be as good for you
but I wouldn't think it would hurt now and then? I have unfortunately stopped having soy products
as they give me really bad flatulence and pain like IBS. Thought it was all the beans but after
I stopped the soy for a week or so I was back to normal.
This sounds yummy Maree.
My mum is a very enthusiastic cook (thats how she shows she loves us :-) and she is struggling not being able to make my favourite dishes.
Its my birthday on Saturday so I'm going to ask her to give this a try for me.
I'll let you know how I go.
Happy birthday for saturday Melhelany, hope it's a great day. Would love to know if
you enjoy the pie. :P
Hi Maree,

I didn't forget about this yummy recipe but mum ended up making me an upside apricot cake (from this website also) and it was absolutely delicious!
I will however get around to making this soon and will definitely give a review :P
Upside down apricot cake sounds nice, will try that, I make upside down apple cake.
The crunchy oat and almond biscuits recipe that is in the recipes to enjoy section are great,
love them, just like normal biscuits!
The lemon filling was delicious,

Could not get the pastry to bind at those volumes of liquid.

Only used a medium egg white but had to add another 15mls of milk and 30mls of water to bring the pastry together and it was not overly wet. Using the initial volumes it was very very dry and crumbly.

Next time I think that I will use plain/multi purpose flour although it will still require the extra liquid

Overall, after some tweaking, a big thumbs up
17 posts Page 1 of 2