13 posts Page 1 of 2
I started the OMS program four months ago and have not had any icecream, biscuits, cakes, slices, cupcakes, or chocolates in that time. I bought everyone in our office a cupcake yesterday and thought it was about time I try some sweets cooking.

I found these two seperate recipes and made some OMS adjustments. It is an amazing cake! It didn't rise a lot but tasted wonderful (I used wholemeal flour and it was great too). The avocado icing has surprised me! Four tablespoons of cocoa was enough to colour it chocolate! and I honestly think it tasted better than regular icing!! I gave it to my husband and gave him so many guesses to the main ingredient ("butter? cream? margarine? soy milk? oil?") and he couldn't believe it was avocado!

Chocolate cake with chocolate (avocado!) icing!!

1 1/4 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Icing

2 small to medium, very ripe avocados
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups icing sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder

Preheat the oven to 180 C. In an 8X8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it's really blended together. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

And for the Icing...

Peel and pit the soft avocados. It’s good to use the ripest avocados you can get your hands on. Don't worry if they're not 100% ripe. If the avocados have brown spots in the meat, avoid those spots when you scoop the meat into the bowl.

Place the avocado meat into the bowl and beat with electric mixer. Add lemon juice and beat the avocado on medium speed, until slightly lightened in color and smooth.

Add the icing sugar and cocoa powder a little at a time and beat. Add vanilla extract until combined. If not using right away, store in the refrigerator.
yummy! I can't wait to try this =)
Mmm... I've been making cupcakes without icing as I haven't found anything suitable but this sounds perfect... thank you!
Are we allowed to have icing - that is just icing sugar and water with a little lemon or vanilla essence?

I'm thinking if its ok to have sugar in the cake, maybe a little icing sugar is ok too.

x f
Nothing wrong with icing if it is dairy free. If I must have it I just make up a normal icing ie icing sugar + flavour + water but this option sounds great as the avocado is fairly neutral in flavour and is standing in for the butter component of butter icing. Look forward to trying it.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
what is icing sugar?
Ha
icing sugar is "confectioners sugar or powdered sugar"

Perhaps we need a dictionary to translate ingredients for other nationalities ;)

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
Been looking for something i can have as a birthday cake... even though i've never been a huge chocolate fan... this looks great! thanks for the post :D
Dx Dec 2008, DENIAL, OMS Jul 2011, Copaxone Nov 2011.
I haven't made the icing with avocados but did 'invent' some ice cream and used them for the fat. Also in the mix was almond milk, cocoa powder, brown sugar, and vanilla. I could definitely taste the avocado--very strong. Do you notice it in the icing? My 'ice cream' invention was a one time thing, for sure. UGH!
I make a similar type icing or mousse, basically avocado pureed with a stick blender, add cocoa (amount to taste preference, I use about 1/4 cup per large avocado) and instead of sugar use honey, maple syrup or rice syrup. Leave in the fridge over night for flavor to develop. Can flavor with vanilla, orange etc
13 posts Page 1 of 2