13 posts Page 1 of 2
Good morning
Does anyone have a recipe for an icecream alternative?
Hi EI

If you google "frozen banana icecream" you'll find lots and lots of various tips and tricks for turning frozen bananas into icecream.

My personal favourite is a simple chocolate banana and honey one.

Firstly peel your bananas and wrap them individually with cling wrap and pop them in the freezer. They will need a full day in the freezer as they need to be frozen solid to get the best texture in your icecream.

When you are ready to eat, take the bananas out of the freezer, unwrap, cut into chunks and pop them into a food processor with 1 generous tablespoon of cocoa powder and one teaspoon of honey per banana. Process until the cocoa powder has blended through the mix. You may need to scrape down the bowl once or twice. I like my icecream to have a fudgy consistency so I stop processing when I can still see little white flecks of banana in the mixture. (30-60 seconds) I find that the process of spooning the mixture out of the processor and giving it a quick smudge around with the spoon as I am doing it gets rid of the banana flecks without ending up with a soft-serve consistency.

I use my Sunbean Little Oscar for this and it worked perfectly until I broke it ( it was 22 years old ) I can confirm that neither a blender nor a stick mixer will do the job. However, I have not tried a stick mixer with the container attachment that turns it into a mini processor.

I just recieved an icecream / sorbet maker for my birthday so I am going to try out some vegan icreams and sorbets on the weekend. I will let you know how I go!

Tracey
I posted a recipe for Rhubarb Sorbet a while back, it actually tastes creamy and a bit like strawberry ice cream. If the rhubarb is not very red I sometimes add a few frozen raspberries or some freeze dried raspberries.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1530&p=8214&hilit=rhubarb#p8214
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
I make a wonderful ice cream with nothing but one banana and one tablespoon of cacao (organic) blended and then frozen. Or, I might add strawberries to the above for something different.

I never add any sweetener but I do like to add nuts before blending. Almost, bananas and cacoa are superb! The sky is the limit. You can use blueberries, whatever.
If you want to buy one, just look for a quality sorbet. Be sure to read the label.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks Wendy!!

Will try those sorbets on the weekend. I'm keen to try the rubarb one!

Tracey
Thankyou!!!
I just finished inhaling some frozen banana ice-cream - was fighting off the kids! :lol:

Seriously delicious and so quick and healthy.

Have already whacked a whole lot more bananas in the freezer - wished I'd known about this in summer!
korimako wrote: I posted a recipe for Rhubarb Sorbet a while back, it actually tastes creamy and a bit like strawberry ice cream. If the rhubarb is not very red I sometimes add a few frozen raspberries or some freeze dried raspberries.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1530&p=8214&hilit=rhubarb#p8214

Wendy this is exceptional!
I have just made it; I missed the step to puree the fruit before freezing the first time so my frozen fruit was rubbery and had to break it up by hand. It didn't suffer tho because I broke it up and wizzed in a food processor.

I am not usually a lover of sorbets because I don't like the ice crystal feel but this came out just like icecream and if you served it at a meal your guests would not know the difference. YUM-O!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Wow, this is amazing! I was sceptical at first, but the consistency is just like the real thing. Extraordinary, and soooooo delicious. Looking forward to experimenting with variations. :D Maybe something with nuts and maple syrup? Thanks for the most amazing tip folks. I thought ice cream was just a fond memory.

For those of you in Aus, Weiss 'Mango Passion' sorbet bars have a consistency that is very close to ice cream too, but expensive compared to this home recipe.
13 posts Page 1 of 2