10 posts Page 1 of 1
BEST Chocolate Cake

Ingredients:

Cake
1 1/4 cups wholemeal flour (I used self raising and it was fine)
1 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup unsweetened, pure cocoa powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup warm water
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
1 tsp distilled white or apple cider vinegar

Icing
½ cup icing sugar
1/3 cup pure cocoa powder
2-3 tbs warm water

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F. In an 8X8 square pan/dish, mix together flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt with a fork, making sure it is really blended together. Add the water, vanilla, oil, and vinegar, and again, mix together so that it's really blended together. Use a spatula to scrape down the sides if necessary. Will be quite watery.

Place in oven and bake for about 30 minutes, or until a knife comes out clean. Cool on a rack completely (2 hours).

For icing, slowly mix warm water with dry ingredients to get desired consistency.
I haven't eaten a piece of cake in a year - and this was so yummy. Such a simple recipe but the cake was quite dense and a little chewy on the edges. I might try and make an orange version, or even passionfruit ...
Bloody beautiful. My son likes it too. And so easy to make
Thought I'd bump this up for anyone who hasn't tried it yet! I've made this a few times since starting OMS and it really is so easy and delicious! Such a treat!
I use half the amount of oil, replacing the other half with apple sauce - turns out great!
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Can someone who has tried this recipe please help me as I've just tried it and it was a disaster.

Am I understanding it right that you mix the ingredients in the tin that you're going to cook the cake in so there's no greasing/lining of the tin? Mine stuck horribly to the bottom of the tin.

I tried to remove it from the tin in order to cool it on a wire rack, should I have left it to cool in the tin instead?

Thanks
HI
I have not tried it but I would have thought you mix it in a bowl then transfer to a tin. I personally would line the tin with baking paper... That peals easily off when cake is ready.
I like using a 9 inch silicon baking tray, once cooked just leave it till thoroughly cooled several hours then what I cooked comes out very easy.
Since I don't like chocolate cakes but my mom baked chocolate according to your instructions mentioned in your article. It really taste so yummy and I ate maximum of the cake.

Thanks for sharing simple and mouth watering cake recipe.
How did you make that OMS friendly as that Galaxy Cake is not a good cake to make regarding the recipe.
This is what I was looking for. I have never tried baking at home because it's seriously quite difficult and challenging. I always did disaster in the kitchen and my mom used to scold me for it. But your recipe seems I should definitely try and let's see if there be a cake or again a disaster
Thank you for sharing the recipe.
10 posts Page 1 of 1