4 posts Page 1 of 1
Apricot Upside Down Cake ½ cup dried apricots – cover with boiling water, soak for 30 minutes 20g EVOO ½ cup brown sugar 1/3 cup chopped walnuts 65g EVOO 1 tsp vanilla essence 2/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed 4 egg whites 1½ cups self-raising flour ½ cup water (from the apricots) Line a 20cm ring pan with cooking paper. Preheat oven to 180°C. Combine first measures of oil and sugar with the walnuts. Drain the apricots (reserve ½ cup water for the cake). Lay the apricots cut side up in the bottom of the cake tin. Sprinkle the walnut mixture over the top. Combine the second measures of oil and sugar with the essence and egg whites. Beat for 2 minutes. Stir in half the sifted flour with half the water, then stir in the remaining flour and water. Pour the batter into the cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Stand the cake in the tin for 15 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool.
Zesty Olive Oil Cake 2 egg whites 160g (2/3 cup) caster sugar 2 tsp finely grated orange zest 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest 125ml olive oil 185g (1½ cups) self-raising flour ¼ cup water ¼ cup orange juice Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with cooking paper. Beat the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl until white and thick (before soft peak stage). Add the orange and lemon zest, then stir in the olive oil. Stir in the sifted flour alternately with the water and orange juice. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.
Kaye Prichard wrote: Zesty Olive Oil Cake 2 egg whites 160g (2/3 cup) caster sugar 2 tsp finely grated orange zest 2 tsp finely grated lemon zest 125ml olive oil 185g (1½ cups) self-raising flour ¼ cup water ¼ cup orange juice Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 20cm round cake tin with cooking paper. Beat the egg whites and sugar in a large bowl until white and thick (before soft peak stage). Add the orange and lemon zest, then stir in the olive oil. Stir in the sifted flour alternately with the water and orange juice. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cake rack to cool. Dust with icing sugar before serving.

Baked this the first piece of cake that I have eaten in many months - very nice and will bake again but think the quantity of liquid is too high so used only about two thirds for fear would be pouring liquid mixture into the cake tin. Having said that I had to try and convert the measurements into their UK equiv. (cup?) but despite my fears as I put the mixture into the oven what came out was a lovely. Thank you
Banana and Rolled Oat Biscuits

3 medium bananas (mashed)
2 Cups rolled oats
3/4 cup chopped dates
1/2 cup walnuts
1/4 cup honey
1/8 Cup olive oil or oil of your choice (I sometimes use grapeseed)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
pinch of salt
1 egg white

Combine all ingredients and drop tablespoons of mixture on to tray with baking paper on it.
Cook in Low to Moderate oven for 25 mins or until golden brown and firm
4 posts Page 1 of 1