I posted a photo of this recipe on our company Facebook page yesterday and it received a lot of attention and requests for the recipe...so, I decided to also share it here as it is OMS-safe!

This classic method for making a carrot cake was adapted from a 1948 Kochlehrbuch from Zürich. For those who do not live in Switzerland, Aargau is a Canton in the central portion of the country. It is well-known for producing carrots. I have adapted the recipe to exclude the use of egg yolks and gluten. This version does use egg whites, which do not bother me because of their lack of fat. Enjoy....

Jack

Swiss Carrot Cake

25 gr. olive oil
15 gr. soy flour
10 gr. lecithin
60 gr. water
1 tsp. turmeric
200 gr. sugar

300 gr. finely grated carrots
250 gr. ground hazelnuts
½ tsp. cinnamon
½ tsp. ground cloves
1 tsp. ground cardamom
zest from ½ orange and ½ lemon

50 gr. buckwheat flour
75 gr. rice flour
10 gr. guar gum
12 gr. baking powder
5 gr. sea salt

175 gr. egg whites (from about 5 eggs)
50 gr. sugar

150 gr. powdered sugar
2-3 Tbl. kirsch

Prepare the cake pan by lining it with parchment paper, then coating with oil and lightly with corn flour. Preheat the oven to 190°C.

Combine the olive oil, soy flour, lecithin, water and turmeric and mix well to combine. Place this egg yolk replacer in a mixing bowl and add the sugar. Mix over high speed for about 5 minutes until lightly creamy. Meanwhile, mix together the grated carrots, hazelnuts, spices and zest in a separate bowl. Add this mixture to the egg yolk replacer and mix to combine, making sure to scrape the sides of the mixing bowl. Mix together the gluten-free flour ingredients, then sift into a clean bowl. Separately, mix the egg whites and sugar together until medium peaks form. Fold the gluten-free flour mixture and egg white mixture into the carrot mixture…alternating between the two and finishing with the egg white mix. Place in the prepared cake pan and bake for about 40-45 minutes. Prepare the glaze by combining just enough kirsch into the powdered sugar to form a slightly runny consistency. Spread over the cake while warm.