6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hello team - I've been working my way through my favourite recipes to convert them to OMS-friendly format. Here is a chocolate cake recipe that has met with tremendous success at home and at work....

Black Bean Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350F

Prepare 9" cake pan: oil bottom and sides. Line with parchment paper

Dry Ingredients

In a large bowl, mix well together:

1 1/4 C All Purpose Flour
1 C brown Sugar, packed (you can also use white suger)
1/3 C +1 Tblsp Cocoa Powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients

In another bowl (or blender) mix together until smooth:

1tsp vanilla
1 1/2 C black bean puree - rinse about 2 C. beans very well under cold water and then puree in a blender until smooth
1 1/4 C warm water (I use warm coffee for an intense mocha taste)
1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar (If you use white vinegar, use 1 tsp only)
NOTE: The liquid should be a smooth and sloppy consistency - like thin apple sauce. If it is too thick - add more water.

Mix wet ingredients into dry. Combine until just mixed - do not over stir.

Pour into prepared cake pan. Bake on middle rack until done (check in 20 minutes). This cake is done when a skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Do not over cook.

Let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out.

Glaze with warm chocolate glaze:

Chocolate Glaze:

Combine in saucepan:

1/2 C sugar
3 Tblsp olive oil
2 Tblsp cocoa powder
2 Tblsp coffee or 2 Tblsp Kalhua

2 tsp vanilla extract

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil for 3 minutes. Remove from heat and stir for 3 more minutes. Add vanilla and pour over cooled cake while glaze is still warm

Enjoy!

Options:

1. Line bottom of cake pan with chopped pecans and brown sugar (equal portions) to form a topping on cake when it is flipped out.

2. Sprinkle chocolate chips on top of cake batter before baking - they will settle into cake when it bakes. (Not OMS friendly but good!)

3. Just before done (5 minutes before done), sprinkle mini marshmallows on top
And a variation of the theme...

Date Chocolate Cake

Preheat oven to 350F

Prepare 9" cake pan: oil bottom and sides. Line with parchment paper

Dry Ingredients

In a large bowl, sift together:

1 1/4 C All Purpose Flour
3/4 C brown Sugar, packed (you can also use white sugar)
1/3 C +2 Tblsp Cocoa Powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

Wet Ingredients

In another bowl (or blender) mix together until smooth:

1tsp vanilla
1 1/4 C pureed dates - simmer 2 C (approx) dates for 3 to 4 minutes until soft then puree in a blender until smooth. Add some of the simmering liquid to make the puree smooth and of the consistency of thick applesauce

1 1/4 C warm water (use warm strong coffee for a more intense taste!)

Mix wet ingredients into dry. Combine until just mixed - do not over stir

Pour into prepared cake pan. Bake on middle rack until done (check in 20 to 25 minutes). If making cupcakes, check sooner. (15 minutes). This cake is done when a skewer or toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Let cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes before turning it out.

Glaze cooled cake with warm chocolate glaze:

Chocolate Glaze:

Combine in saucepan:

1/2 C packed brown sugar
3 Tblsp olive oil
3 Tblsp cocoa powder
2 Tblsp strong brewed coffee (or espresso)

2 tsp vanilla extract

Bring first 4 ingredients to a boil for 31/2 minutes. Remove from heat and stir for 3 more minutes. If there is any remaining date puree, you can add it to the glaze at this point.... don't add more than 3 Tblsp. If you do, the glaze will be a bit grainy...still good though! :-)

Add vanilla and stir. Pour over cooled cake while glaze is still warm but not too hot.
Yum! I know what I will be making with the kids this weekend :)
Jen x

Diagnosed 1994 OMS Nov 2013
My favorite is the one made with black beans. I'd add 2 or 3 Tblsp of extra sugar if you have kids - especially if you use coffee... They like it a bit sweeter than most adults.

Claire
Sounds lovely.

I thought we had to be careful of sugar consumption though?

thanks
Steve
dx May 13. OMS Jan 14.
Yes. This cake has the minimum needed to make it palatable. And it is intended as a treat!!

I use unrefined brown sugar. I'm working on a version that will use agave sugar or maple syrup.... But so far not a lot of success!

CdeG
6 posts Page 1 of 1