6 posts Page 1 of 1
GF, DF and FF Chocolate Cookies

These are deceptively easy to make. Nobody believes that they are dairy free, fat free and gluten free! I have tried various modifications and they have all succeeded. So, the basic recipe first...then suggested modifications.

Base Recipe
Makes approximately 3 dozen small cookies.

Sift together:
3C Icing Sugar
1/2C + 3 Tbsp. Good quality Cocoa Powder
1/4 tsp. sea salt

Mix together until smooth:
4 egg whites from large eggs
1 Tbsp. Vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350F
Mix together the wet and dry ingredients.
Drop by teaspoon onto a lightly oiled (sprayed) parchment paper lined baking sheet. Leave space between the cookies, they spread.
Flatten each cookie. this ensures even baking.
Bake for 12 minutes or until the surface is cracked and shiny.
Remove from oven and gently remove from sheet with a spatula. Cool on wire rack.
1. Fruit & Nut: Add 1C chopped dried fruit (I like apricots, cranberries and/or raisins) and 1 C chopped nuts (almonds or walnuts or pecans are yummy!) to sifted dry ingredients. Increase egg whites by 1 (total 5 egg whites)
2. Double Chocolate: add 1C mini dark chocolate chips to sifted dry ingredients. (Not 100% OMS friendly)
3. White Chocolate Chip: add 1C mini white chocolate chips or chopped white chocolate to the sifted dry ingredients. (Not OMS friendly)
4. Rocky Road: Add 1C chopped pecans and 1C mini marshmallows to sifted dry ingredients.
5. Chewy "Macaroon-ey" Cookies: Add 1/2C ground almonds to the dry ingredients and sift with the other dry. Increase egg whites by 1 to a total of 5 egg whites.

I use the egg whites in a carton - easy to measure and no egg yolks to throw out. Most of the cartons will have equivalents on the side. But these equivalents are for small eggs unless stated otherwise...increase by 1 or 2 tablespoons.
Thanks for this. Made these today (the fruit and nut ones) and they are yummy :D

I was lacking baking tray space so used some of the mixture to make one big cookie (in a baking dish lined with GP paper). Again I only baked it for 12 minutes as was spread thinly. The end result was a yummy brownie consistency which I cut into squares.

Just another option if you fancy a change.

I have frozen some those as worried about eating too much sugar. Will let you know if this works out okay.

Thank you again for the recipe
Can you tell me what you mean by mixing? I don't bake a lot but I know that some things require several minutes of high speed electric mixing, and other things less or even by hand. ;) I want these to work out!

Thanks in advance,

Patty
Marsh mallows generally have animal gelatin in them.
Animal gelatin is OK but vegans choose to avoid it - there is a FAQ on it.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... rces/FAQs/

Patty - use a metal spoon to mix the egg whites and vanilla well, sift the dry ingredients over the top and mix again making sure everything is incorporated.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Hi Wendy, and thanks for the speedy reply! I cook all my meals from scratch, but don't do desserts much, and I need this to come out right tonight to serve to friends after supper. (I'm making sushi, and then dessert is the frozen raspberry purée ('sorbet'), and the cookies would go well, I think!) So, here's hoping!

Patty
6 posts Page 1 of 1