6 posts Page 1 of 1
Amazing cake - we shouldn't be able to eat anything that tastes this good!

40g cashew nuts
200g dates, pitted
300ml water

200g spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate of soda

If you want to use another flour, such as self-raising, then you should reduce or remove the baking powder and soda as spelt is a plain flour. I haven't tried this, when I do, I will update the recipe with my results.

Apples, peeled and sliced - eating or cooking but cooking will be softer

Cinnamon, to dredge after cooking

Soak cashews and dates for at least one hour or overnight
Blend together in a food processor or blender

Mix flour, baking powder and soda together then add to blended mixture

Spread the cake mixture into a 25cm cake tin

Arrange the raw apple slices in circles on top of the cake

Bake at 160 deg C for 30 - 40 minutes

(check with a skewer or knife stuck into middle of cake, when it comes out clean, the cake is done)
If you use a smaller tin and the cake is deeper it might take longer to cook so check that it's not scorching, and if necessary cover with a sheet of baking paper towards the end of cooking

Remove from oven, transfer to wire rack to cool
When cool, dredge with cinnamon

Eat at room temperature, or warm with cashew ice cream :)
HantsSG is a group which meets near Winchester, Hampshire, UK (7 of us in Nov 2016). We share experiences, recipes and information as we overcome MS. Everyone welcome. Contact HantsSG for location details. Next meeting date posted on the Location board.
Do the apple slices go in the bottom of the cake pan or are they mixed through it before baking please?
Can you use a different flour, such as self raising?
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Thank you for your comments, Denise and veg - I've updated the recipe - sorry I omitted what to do with the apples!

I think for flour that you need to do whatever you do when changing from one to another. I haven't made this yet, but I have eaten it; I posted it for a friend, but I plan to make it myself in the next couple of weeks. When I do, I'll update the recipe with my results. In the meantime, here's what I said in the recipe above:

If you want to use another flour, such as self-raising, then you should reduce or remove the baking powder and soda as spelt is a plain flour

Take care, Sue
HantsSG is a group which meets near Winchester, Hampshire, UK (7 of us in Nov 2016). We share experiences, recipes and information as we overcome MS. Everyone welcome. Contact HantsSG for location details. Next meeting date posted on the Location board.
Just realised there is no weight for the apples?
Hi veg,

I used 4 apples for one cake (about 400g).
It depends what size tin you have and how thick you like your apple slices...

If you like to see a video of it - I found the cake on this website: http://www.kochsvegan.de/tag/fettfrei/
It is in German, but very easy to follow even if you do not understand the words.

best regards
Stephie
6 posts Page 1 of 1