8 posts Page 1 of 1
It is best to avoid frying with oil if at all possible as heat causes toxic changes in the structure of the oil.

Cook onion in dry heavy pan until it starts to catch and the natural sugars start to brown (Le Creuset is good). There is no need for any oil. Add a couple of splashes of white wine, verjuice, beer or even water and heat until fragrant.

Red onions are particularly good done this way with balsamic vinegar as the liquid and a spoonful of brown sugar - caramelised onions!

If absolutely necessary, a small amount (1 -2 teaspoons) of extra virgin olive oil may be used, and a splash of water added to keep the temperature down.
I agree Wendy.
You don't need a lot of oil, it's more about giving the onion some moisture - either put the lid on the pan to create some steam or add a splash of something - verjuice, water etc.. Love Le Creuset!
Of course the problem with cooking with white wine, is that I like to drink it not just cook with it!!!!
Cheers Kaybe
We use this pan, absolutely fab for this way of cooking and a non toxic pan.
The old style Le Cruset had that great stoneglaze finish on the inside, sadly now in the UK they are toxic non stick lined.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/GreenPan-Anodis ... r-mr-title
and to keep the moisture in I stick this on the top 25cm size.
http://www.wellbake.co.uk/cleanzone-sil ... n-3-sizes/
I must admit Veg, I have the Le Creuset non-stick pans which I bought when I lived in London, but the green pans look great.
I have been eyeing up a Green Pan for a while, waiting for the budget to allow it so if anyone can let us know if it is as good it appears let us know.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
For normal geasey fatty cooking then I would not use my green pan. But for our dry frying and general cooking it is brilliant, love ours over 6 months old and like new still. Works well with that silicon splatter guard I also linked too.
I have started using greaseproof paper to line a frying pan so that my eggwhite spinach omelette doesn't require any spray to lightly grease the pan. The omelette can be peeled off the paper to fold it over. You need to keep an eye on it because the paper could catch or scorch. I already use greaseproof or baking paper to line tins for biscuits etc in the oven.

I also used it to make a potato cake which had crispy sides - the only ingredient was mashed 'floury' potato formed into a thinnish patty shape by hand and put onto the paper in the pan, then turned over after a few minutes; it was remarkably successful.

Cheers, Sue
MS dx 1989, OMS Jan 2013
I have been frying with one tablespoon of water at a time in a cast iron skillet; keep a cup of water ready by the stove with a spoon and caramelize onions, other vegs, easily. Also use vegetable broth.
8 posts Page 1 of 1