7 posts Page 1 of 1
If anyone has successfully adapted recipes normally using cheese to be OMS-compliant I'd be very interested.

Many thanks
Derbyshire, UK. Diagnosis 2012, OMS 2015.
Cheese substitute = walking

If you provide an example of a dish you are wanting to see how you could make it OMS compliant you may get some suggestions.
I have recently made a fish pie with 'cheesy' sauce. I think the recipe was on this forum in the recipe section. I will try to find it as planning to make it again - then will post a link for you (or maybe someone else knows what i am talking about).

But try to search the forum, there are few recipes for meals with some sort of cheese taste substitute.

M.

(nb: the more I type 'cheese' the weirder it looks and I have to stop for seconds to think how to spell it! Wish that happened with the actual craving too)
Hello,

did you try yeast flakes? they are Kind of savoury and I heard that vegans use them as a Substitute for Parmigiano.

So Long!

Joe
Ooh yea, Envita nutritional yeast with B12, you can get them online. they are part of many cheese like recipes. I sprinkle it on lot of my meals.
I found the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak, and although I had to wait to pick up some of the ingredients, (specifically the agar agar), I made my first UnCheese on Friday evening.

I made the Monterey Jack

1 1/2 cups Water
1 1/2 Tbs agar agar
1/2 cup silken tofu
1/2 cup cashews
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
2 Tbs tahini
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dry mustard
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp ground coriander

Lightly oil a 3 cup straight sided container, (I used EV olive oil).
Bring the water and agar agar to a boil stirring constantly, simmer until the agar agar is all dissolved, (5 - 10 minutes), add to a blender, put in the other ingredients, blend until turned into a smooth paste, you may need to scrap the blender walls down several times, before fully blended and smooth. Turn into the oiled container, chill uncovered in the fridge until cold, then cover and chill for several hours or overnight.

Thanks to Jo Stepaniak for her hard work in creating the recipes and the book, I was totally blown away by the UnCheese, I will work at the texture with the next batch, but what blew me away was the taste was cheese, there are no two ways about it, I was sweating not being able to have cheese on the OMS diet, the uncheese even melts under the broiler, so uncheese on toast, will be on the menu on a regular basis.

The 'wow' I gave the first taste, got my daughter interested enough to actually try it, she too thought the flavor was good, but the texture needs some work, I had to stop and start the blender more times than optimal, (I think), and I'll be doing others from the book, as I eat through the portions I have.
Be well, live long and prosper!
When you have an egg white omelette or scrambled eggs finely chop chives for the top. It is rather surprising that they taste like cheese.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
7 posts Page 1 of 1