5 posts Page 1 of 1
Out of 4 sibblings I got the short straw and got MS, I have no knowledge of anyone else on either side of the familiy having it, at least of the generation of my grandparents, parents or after mine.

I am female, does anyone know the % risk that my brother's baby will have of getting MS?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I don't know for sure, but page 50 -52 in the book deal with this in a bit of detail. There is a table on page 52 that shows the relative risks for siblings. Vitamin D reduces the risk.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ics-of-MS/

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Hi Kashu

Hopefully this recent Australian research can be of help:

But the quick answer is your nephew has about a 1% chance of developing MS, so that's a 99% chance of NOT developing it.
(The average risk of MS is under 0.2%, so that's why although his chance sounds scary when it's said as "40 times greater than average", it's still very small overall).

I hope this sets your mind at ease.
Kashu- I have often wondered what the probability of anyone in my family developing MS is also. There is no one in my family, other than myself, that had MS or displayed any symptoms of MS in their lifetimes, well as far back as my great-great grandparents. I often wonder how I ended up getting the short end of the stick. However that happened I will never know, but I am going to do everything in my power to keep my children from getting it.
Thanks all. If she was my own child it would be no problem but when it is not you are battling against the medical profession who are giving the wrong advice eg vit d etc. One can understand parents choosing medical advice over mine.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
5 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests