42 posts Page 2 of 5
No worries Martin, we are all here to support each other. Having MS is no picnic. It's the nature of depression too to beat up on yourself, and it helps to recognise that. You sometimes think you've done everything wrong, when actually you have done the best you could, and done wonderful things for your loved ones. If you ask I think you will find they are happy, and proud of you. They can see that things are tough for you, but you keep on keeping on. Be kind to yourself. Things will be better. Loz.
heya Martin, I've been quiet so far as I didn't feel I had much useful to add (don't have a family yet, live on the opposite side of the world). Just wanted to echo what Lozza has said and wish you the best of luck in your healing
Thanks all of you for great word of support. As we approaching Xmas I decide to spend it as much as possible with my family here and far far away (thanks to amazing tool Skype). I have to find new point of interest in my life, some another project like our immigration ;-). Just need to cool down relax and I believe some idea pop out.
I wish to all of you marry Xmas and wonderful New Year.
Diagnosed April 2012, OMS May 2012.
It's the solice that oms will likely eliminate the ms from our kids, and our best gifts are what we can teach them about themselves during times of adversity. Please stay well and enjoy being with your family this Christmas.
Kashu,

You asked whether the evidence shows that milk protein is not problematic and I want to respond to that. In truth, we don't really have the research needed to answer that question. Swank, however, found that when the children of families with MS followed his diet, not one of the children ever developed MS. Yet, Swank's diet allowed the children to have non-fat milk. For this reason, it is hard for me to believe that milk protein is problematic for most. Of course, milk is problematic for some because of intolerance issues.

Jelinek thinks that using milk is risky. He is more worried about that than I am.
Hi Rebecca, this is what I said

"Rebecca it is my understanding from George's book and podcast that it is not just the dairy fat that is an issue but it is the dairy protein that mimics the myelin protein that potentially can set off an attack. Are you now saying that this is incorrect and skim milk maybe ok?"

Not all children develop MS in families now who eat abysmally so you maybe right it is probably not the sole cause of MS. But we are not talking about us as children avoiding developing MS, we are PwMS trying to avoid having more attacks which potentially can be caused by the milk protein.

We could all use Swank to justify adding milk and meat to our diets but he didn't necessarily have it all right, we have a better understanding now and we are learning more as time goes by.

Perhaps personally you are not concerned with adding milk to your diet and that is your choice. But George is far better qualified than all of us and he has recommended we avoid it. I think we should take it very seriously; the evidence is obviously strong enough for George to not have it himself.

If someone like you whom we all respect for your valuable input directly contradicts what George has presented for our benefit then I don't think it is in our best interests and it is at least confusing for new ones.

I have had two major attacks after knowingly and unknowingly eating dairy. Intolerances as you suggest cause upset stomachs rather than MS attacks. To be fair there is no guarantee it was the dairy that caused the attacks but really there are no guarantees anything causes it, because if we knew we would have a cure.

I would rather encourage others to avoid the dairy because I sure don't want anyone to suffer as I have done. It is just not worth the risk.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I don't consume any dairy products, low fat or otherwise, for several reasons.

I worked for quite a few years in the dairy industry here in New Zealand and milk is a heavily processed commodity sold under the guise of a 'healthy' product. There is an enormous PR machine operating to convince us to consume the breast milk of another animal. If it was so good for us as adults, why do cows stop consuming it at an early age? That PR machine is also actively selling milk products, particularly infant formula, to countries where dairy products are not traditionally consumed such as China. It is very, very big business.

The incidence of MS is growing across the world, and is occurring in countries that have never seen MS before. Where dairy products are consumed eerily matches where MS is reported.

I trust all of Professor George Jelineks recommendations, that a plant based diet is especially beneficial for those of us with MS, and is in fact optimal for human health. His recovery is testament to that, as is the recovery of many others who are following his advice.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Kashu,

Interesting question about dairy. I drank a lot of nonfat milk for many years and it did not seem to cause relapses for me. Then I realized I have problems with milk and/or gluten so I stopped eating both of them -- not because of MS but because they gave me cramps and, horrors, diarrhea.

The issues with dairy have not been adequately researched so we really don't have any answers at this time. What we have is a bit theoretical. I know many who have nonfat dairy with MS and do very well. So, should nonfat dairy be avoided? I really don't know. I wish I did have the answer.

Rebecca
There are many things that have not been researched adequately, and for which we don't have definitive answers. Anecdotal and demographic evidence are worth heeding despite this.

It hasn't been proven that smoking cigarettes causes lung cancer, heart disease, aggravates MS, etc., etc., but we all know that it does, and this is widely accepted by the medical community.

LDN has not been proven to be effective in MS, but the anecdotal evidence for its effectiveness is huge.

It is kind of weird to be drinking breast milk as an adult, even weirder when it's the breast milk of another species. Makes me think of a scene from "Little Britain" ...... :lol:

I believe that MS will have different causes in different people, perhaps multiple different causative factors in one person. We weren't all made the same way; we may not all develop an allergic response to milk proteins. Don't think I'll risk testing this out on myself anytime soon.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Here is the Little Britain skit - hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApBVJMfUjbs
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
42 posts Page 2 of 5