8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hey Guys,

My mom was just diagnosed with Lymphoma, I'm not sure they type yet.

I found this while researching it and pondered first the useless age range information, but also the similar risk factors for MS. Her mother, my grandmother, had rheumatoid arthritis:

As we age, there is an increase in the number of possible cancer-causing mutations in our DNA. The risk of NHL increases as we age, and HL is most common between ages 16-34 and 55 years and older. Additional medical conditions that have been associated with higher lymphoma rates include infection with HIV, human T-lymphocytic virus type 1 (HTLV-1), Epstein-Barr virus, Helicobacter pylori, or hepatitis B or C; autoimmune disease (such as lupus); diseases that require therapies that suppress the immune system; and any other immunodeficiency diseases.

In May 2012, researchers from the Department of Medicine at Stanford University identified the risk factors that increased the likelihood of developing non-Hodgkin lymphoma early in life; they included high fetal growth, being male, low birth order, and older maternal age.

Of course, I'm sad that she has a disease and has to go through the treatments. She hasn't been herself for over a year and I've been telling her that she should not be fatigued all the time. But I can't help but see the same genetic weaknesses and factors that seemed to break through as MS in me. And I wonder what's in store for me, later in life and what I am able to prevent with my OMS lifestyle choices - yet another benefit.

Still - sigh -
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Well Alex that stinks doesn't it!
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Alex to help ease your mind if you have not already I would say read The China Study.
Perhaps your Mum might follow more your eating pattern or perhaps is already.
People around us follow the path they follow and we can support them no matter what that is, look after yourself and don't dwell what is will be but we can encourage alternative paths for ourselves.
That's really tough for your mum, Alex. Perhaps she will have an easily treatable form of lymphoma and a short-lived illness.

I agree with Veg that there is so much potential for benefit in adopting an OMS lifestyle ... but people will choose their own paths.

Whatever happens to us, "now" is the only thing we have. Enjoy all your "nows' with your mum.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hi Alex,

Sorry to hear about your mum's diagnosis.
I can only reiterate what the others have suggested.

Best wishes
Hi Alex,

Oh dear, I'm sorry. I really sympathise with people who's parents are diagnosed with serious illnesses. Sadly for me, there were no warning signs before my father died of a heart attack, aged 46. But when my mother was diagnosed with Stage 3B lung cancer, there was plenty I could do to help. I read every paper I could find, summarised all the results in a big spreadsheet, emailed it to her doctor with suggestions... and he eventually agreed and put her on a trial offering exactly the treatment I had read about. I also did loads of research into nutrition and found a special Chinese soup, which she started taking. Nine years later she's still with us - pretty miraculous! So, what I'm trying to say is that a combination of the right nutrition and the best medical treatment can (but not always, I know) work wonders. I also thought I'd tell you my Mum's story, because at the time of her diagnosis I found it so important to hear about the successes. Same with MS I guess. I wish you and your Mum all the best.

It is very interesting to read about the similarities between lymphoma and MS. It made me think of The China Study too.
Hi Alex. I am profoundly sorry to hear about you mother. Like others say above, much cure can be found in nutrients to combat cancer.
I will, as top of mind, point to The china Study as well, and there are many many other studies out there, who all looks at nutrients ass a cancer treatment,
or as beneficial to prepare and reinforcing the body for any conventional treatment.
To overcome lymphoma is a real possibility, remember your mother is alive today, and she will be alive tomorrow and next week.
I am very sure, and i think that others on this forum will agree with me, that especially you are the best support your mother could possibly have in this situation. Remember, nothing happens by chance.

Peter
Thanks Everyone. It's always sad when a parent is ill, especially with Cancer. I'm also thinking about myself. I noted the autoimmune connection and wonder what faces me in my future. That's why I feel more than ever, that it's fantastic that I stick with the diet. Who knows whether in an alternative timeline, I didn't get MS and died of some other disease and that getting MS means I'm on OMS and don't get it?

As for her diet, she eats very well, but is now malnourished due to the disease. Her doctor told her to eat meat. When she asked if he felt meat was healthy, he said "no", but felt that at this point, she needed to eat it. She's going to get chemo, which is effective for these sorts of cancer. She refused blood pressure tablets and did it with diet, but when it comes to cancer, she'll take the medicine.

I appreciate a place where I could share this. I still haven't told my wife or kids. It's difficult to talk about.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
8 posts Page 1 of 1