16 posts Page 2 of 2
For all those struggling with their children’s responses to your illness, I thought this might cheer you up..

My children (ages 6, 8, and 11) were reasonably concerned about me when I had my episode of transverse myelitis and my two-week wait for a diagnosis. They could see that I was worried and they could definitely tell that my husband was unhappy (he can never hide his emotions).

So I wasn’t surprised when my 8-year old daughter sidled up for a cuddle and asked me whether I was going to die. I tried to reassure her. “I don’t want you to die”, she said. But then she paused, stood up and continued, “.. but if you die, I’d get loads of attention from my friends!”. And then, warming to her theme, “I’d walk down the corridor at school and they’d all say ‘poor you’ and be really nice to me!”. And then she bounced off happily.

H
Haha you made me laugh, definitely kids are usually just thinking "what's in it for me" aren't they!!

Hold that one on reserve for the next time they are sick I think!
Fantastic thread here, only just read is browsing through the older posts. Think I shall copy this lot to my kids, (well the 14 yr old daughter and 19 yr old stepson) the 7 year old definitely takes it all in his stride and has no problems. I have always been the one to do everything (pre-diagnosis fairly evenly shared between me and hubby but as I finished work two years ago he now works more hours and I do more in the house) and find it difficult to ask for help with household chores etc. It's all so difficult to change attitudes and I struggle to explain my problems such as multi tasking (non existent now) and fatigue. They have their own problems but I feel I could support them more if they could support me more!
Multitasking .... I keep telling people (at work) "I am not a real woman. I can't multitask". They are incredulous. What I really mean is "Shut up until I get this done, then I'll listen to you".
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Shut up until I get this done, then I'll listen to you

:lol: See that? You are TOTALLY a "real" woman :lol:
Actually, what I am thinking means the same in a much ruder way .... STFU :oops:
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
16 posts Page 2 of 2