17 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi!
I haven't posted in a while... I'm currently almost 29 weeks pregnant with my first baby, due near the end of September.

Sorry if this might be a little long, but here's some background:

I was on Gilenya for almost a year, but stopped in August 2012 since we wanted to try for a baby. I had a pretty bad (for me) relapse in October 2012 and was off work for almost 5 months (from end of October 2012 to mid-March 2013). Before that, while on Gilenya, I hadn't had a relapse in a year, but before Gilenya I was on Rebif for 3 years and had minor relapses yearly. I went on 2 rounds of steroids (one at the end of October and one in November), while we took a small break from TTC... it didn't help me.
I started the OMS diet in December 2012. I started feeling gradually better after a few weeks, but my symptoms from my last relapse never went away completely (still had constant extreme tingling in hands & fingers, and heaviness/stiffness in left arm). I got pregnant in early January 2013. I was very bad in May & June (2013) and cheated on the OMS diet quite a bit and, starting in early June, my symptoms got worse... Yes, it could also be due to being more tired/stressed since I'm back at work, but I decided to wise-up and REALLY stick to the diet this time, and hope I'll at least go to how I felt in May!

Anyways, onto the point of my post...

I have read the pregnancy section on this site, and I REALLY want to breastfeed, for at least 3-4 months, and ideally for at least 6 months. I'm a bit scared though, given my recent history of relapses, that I'll relapse shortly after giving birth.... I want to be able to take care of my baby! I haven't been on the OMS diet that long, so I'm not sure if I'll get the true benefits from it, and the "protection" of breastfeeding, by the time my baby is born near the end of September...

My questions:

1) What would the recommendation be?

2) I've read that some interferons are "safe" to use while breastfeeding... is this true and which ones? Should I start on one of those after giving birth?

3) IF I have to stop breastfeeding, what is the recommendation regarding formula... would it be better to give a soy-based one, or just the regular kind?

Also:

4) Is it recommended to have babies, once they wean off breast-milk/formula, stick to the OMS diet too (i.e. avoid cow milk, meat, etc.), or only start once they are a bit older?

Thanks in advance!
Hi!

It is all so difficult isn´t it? But just thinking about it means that you truly are on the right path. I too went down this path only 2 years ago. I now have a beautiful 21 month old :)

My experience was wonderful, I chose to breastfeed for 12 months and looking back, I wish I breastfed longer but I was constantly hounded by my neurologist to start with DMDs again.

If you exclusively breastfeed for 6 months you will give yourself anf your baby the best chance of being healthy. Breastfeeding offers some protection for the mother against inflammation, and recent studies support me in this statement. It is also important to remember that as soon as you wean, all those wonderful hormones helpign you stay awake, deal with stress etc will also disappear. It is much more difficult getting up to make bottles than just putting you child to your breast. Remember than getting your rest, staying relaxed and stress free are just as important for MS, and I think breastfeeding was a whole lot less stressful than bottles, formula, getting up and organising the kitchen in the evening.

I also have one bit of advice, if you can get you child to eat OMS friendly, that´s great, but don´t beat yourself up about it if they don´t. My daughter drinks milk atm, mostly organic full fat, but she refuses to eat or drink anything else. I believe that when she is older I can start converting her, but right now I prefer her to eat that than chemical formula´s.

All you can do is try your hardest to stick to OMS and be positive, get out there and walk with your pram, enjoy you child and don´t worry.

Good luck
Just wanted to say what a lovely post, j.randles.

I had my last baby 2 years before MS arrived (now have grand-children).

These are hard dilemmas aren't they?

Very best wishes to you Shortcake!
How lovely to be expecting :-)
Weaning, we would naturally wean onto water around 2 and they can only eat what you give them, so apart from social events majority of the time could be OMS food for them.
There is a recent post about copaxone and breastfeeding.
You can express and freeze breastmilk.
Your relapses may have been each winter early spring.
What is your vitamin d level ?
How much are you supplementing vit d now?
Thanks for the answers so far! :D

j_randles wrote: My experience was wonderful, I chose to breastfeed for 12 months and looking back, I wish I breastfed longer but I was constantly hounded by my neurologist to start with DMDs again.

j_randles: What did you go onto after the 12 months? Did you exclusively breastfeed for those 12 months, or introduced solids too? At what age did you start introducing solids, and were they OMS-friendly?

veg wrote: Weaning, we would naturally wean onto water around 2 and they can only eat what you give them, so apart from social events majority of the time could be OMS food for them.

veg: So they got breast-milk exclusively for 2 years, or do you mean breast-milk and solids (after a few months old)?

veg wrote: Your relapses may have been each winter early spring.
What is your vitamin d level ?
How much are you supplementing vit d now?

veg: I've only been on the OMS diet and on Vitamin D supplements since December 2012. I know that most of my relapses occurred in the fall, which is weird since you'd think that it being after summer, where there would be more sun here, that my levels would be higher naturally than in the spring, after the long Canadian winter months?... With that said though, I don't know what my levels were/are... I have been supplementing with 5,000 I.U. since December 2012.
Hello again,

I had been on Copaxone prior to being pregnant, I started on cop axone again after breastfeeding. However in Australia i´ve noticed that they think cop axone and breastfeeding was ok?!? Personal choice I think.

I breastfed exclusively (no solids) until she was 6 months, after that she got solids but no liquids other than some water. After 12 months I weaned her, and had horrible trouble getting her to take a bottle or formula.....in the end she started losing weight and refusing to take anything apart from cow´s milk, hence the reason I went down that road.

My time again, I would breastfeed as long as possible, and avoid milk etc.

But breastfeeding for me was not at all difficult, everyone has different experiences.

Good luck x
Ah, I understand. Thanks for your explanation j_randles :D
Deffinately good idea to get vit d level tested. Best to do every 6 months when supplementing.
I meant breast milk and solids not breast feed exclusively to two. Some women breast feed longer. :-)
Congrats on expecting your first baby! It is so exciting! When I was diagnosed with MS I had a 3 year old and a 8 month old. I started the OMS diet shortly after and within months decided I would put my children on the diet as well. My 3 year old was VERY resistant to it for months, whereas the baby had no issues. It is all she has ever known, so I didn't get the "I want to eat cheese, ice cream, etc." She is now 2 years old and is absolutely thriving on the diet. Well, they both are, but I don't get any complaints from the little one. I agree with the others, I would breastfeed for as long as possible. I know doctors try to freak you out about giving your baby full fat milk for their brains from age 1-2, but I had zero issues with giving my youngest enough fat. I just made sure she ate avocados, peanut butter, olive oil (not heated), etc and she got more than enough fat for brain development. IF you choose to give formula then I would recommend the soy formula. With everything we know about dairy, I think it is an easy decision. Good luck and stick with the diet. You both will do great!
17 posts Page 1 of 2