5 posts Page 1 of 1
I realize the importance of supplementing my two children with vitamin D since I have been diagnosed with MS but I'm unsure how much they should be getting per day? I have two little boys, age 3 and 5, who weigh 40 and 45 lbs. respectively. Any ideas?

Thanks for your help,
Julie
It is fully covered here, including doses which should increase as your children grow. 1kg = 2.2lbs.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/
Does this help?
MS in Family Members

My recommendation for close relatives of people with MS would be a supplement of 5 000IU a day in winter and in summer on days when there is limited access to sun, reduced proportionately for children. The aim is to keep the level of vitamin D in blood at above 100nmol/L (40ng/mL in the USA). This is the level above which a number of studies have shown a protective effect against developing MS.

So to calculate the dose for children, using 50kg as the adult dose equivalent, a 25kg child would need half this dosage, and similarly a 10kg child one fifth of the dose.
My 19 month old is 2stone 2lbs/13.6kg. I have vit D drops that are 1000iu per drop so i cant give him the exact measurement he should be getting. I therefore alternate the amounts - he gets 1 drop and then the next day 2 drops. I hope i'm doing the right thing, i figure its better for him to have a bit more than he needs than having less as it takes a huge amount of vit d for it to become toxic.
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
You can get Vit D3 drops for children where each drop = 400IU. This may be an easier way to fine tune the dosage.
5 posts Page 1 of 1