12 posts Page 1 of 2
I wasn't sure whether to put this in "Parents and Children" or "Exercise".

I'm hoping some of you might be able to provide a little advice on good exercises for during pregnancy. Warning, the next bit may give too much information...

Before I got pregnant, I used to go running, which I loved despite my lack of skill. However, fairly soon after knowing I was pregnant I had to stop running because it was very painful for my breasts. I hadn't changed bra size much yet, and that plus the sheer level of discomfort make me think it's not a problem a new sports bra in a bigger size could fix, but a problem that means I really need to avoid any exercise that gets my chest bouncing up and down.

I know (partly because everyone says) that swimming and walking are good exercises during pregnancy - but I know that when I get really huge these will be the only exercises I can do, so I want to try to save them for later (partly because doing lengths up and down an indoor pool is pretty boring) and hopefully find something a little bit more aerobic that I can do now.

I found a great replacement by using a cross-trainer in the gym - no bouncing up and down, no stress on joints, nice and aerobic - hooray! But when I mentioned it to my midwife she said that the cross-trainer is too much work for abdominal muscles.

I've been to an aquarobics class once (again, I know about aquanatal, but want to save this for when I'm huge and do something a bit more active while I still can) and that was OK, but I'm still feeling the lack of exercise. Do any of you have any recommendations? Advice much appreciated!
Hi Catriona,

I regularly did a pre-natal aerobics dvd - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B000LRYTCC
A pilates dvd (which i still do now, 18 months after the birth!) http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B001U3EOJY
And i did some of the workouts on my wii fit computer.
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Thanks Denise! Those DVDs sound like a good plan
Walking is great and, as you get bigger, you're actually increasing the weight resistance aspect!

I also really enjoyed light weights but found it very difficult to find well researched evidence re the safety aspect for pregnancy. My ob, who is quite progressive, said that anything you were doing beforehand should be fine - just don't start throwing in new exercises that put a toll on the body right now. So for me, I just dropped the weight amount slightly and listened to my body.

Re the TMI section - there's lots of TMI around pregnancy and small children, so embrace it! You won't shock anyone who has been there done that. :D

The painful breasts aspect: make sure your bra fits well. Maternity bras are great because they have some inbuilt give so they can accommodate size changes. However, try popping on a second bra or (what I used to do) a crop top as well. It provides a little more support. I found that really useful while breastfeeding too.
Oh and no underwired bras.
Last night I went to a yoga class at a local gym - the instructor was qualified in pregnancy yoga and so knew exactly which poses were safe for me and which I should avoid. Very enjoyable and I feel lovely today - toned and relaxed (physically and mentally). This is exactly what I'd been needing - an exercise option that works more muscle groups than walking, doesn't involve bouncing up-and-down (seriously - I'm a curvy shape and for me it doesn't matter how good my bra is or how well it fits - and I certainly don't wear any with underwiring while pregnant - I've tried but running or anything else that makes me bounce up-and-down is really painful!), is less boring than swimming lengths but is judged to be safe in pregnancy (for a while it seemed I was being told that everything I enjoyed was off-limits, with both cross-training and pilates deemed too much work for abdominal muscles). Pregnancy yoga highly recommended :D
Hi Catriona,
I'm not sure that you are getting great advice - I think that all exercise is excellent for expectant mums and surely your abdominal muscles need all the help they can get at this time? Maybe I'm a little embittered because my experience of midwives wasn't great - so I'd take everything they say with a big pinch of salt. Certainly my obs man (can't spell the full thing) told me to do whatever I wanted, bar anything like playing rubgy, and in the latter stages (when we needed to get baby to come out) to have loads of sex!!! Happy husband! As a result I did all my usual stuff, which as you know is quite a lot. I only tailed it off at the end when my lungs felt like thay had hardly enough room to function and my bump was too big to let me get off a horse!
Anyway, listen to your body! If it feels good then it probably is good and the fitter and healthier you are, the better you'll cope with the labour.
I hope you are enjoying the pregancy - sore boobs aside.
Cxxx
I think that all exercise is excellent for expectant mums and surely your abdominal muscles need all the help they can get at this time?

That was my first assumption too, but the midwives say that if the abs are too tight it can cause problems, and when it comes to babies they're the experts, not me.
Anyway, yoga is great *and* recommended so all is well :-)
catriona wrote: I think that all exercise is excellent for expectant mums and surely your abdominal muscles need all the help they can get at this time?

That was my first assumption too, but the midwives say that if the abs are too tight it can cause problems, and when it comes to babies they're the experts, not me.
Anyway, yoga is great *and* recommended so all is well :-)

don't know much about pregnancies yet i'd like to point out that yoga is really good at getting one nice firm and tight abs :roll: just a thought.

be well and congratulations for thew baby,
raluca
I guess that's one of the reasons why some poses need to be avoided in pregnancy (like strong abdominal twists). Pregnant women should also avoid lying on their backs for long periods (this can reduce blood flow to the uterus) and should be careful in doing stretches (these are easier when pregnant, which means there's more risk of over-stretching and getting injured).

I'm just happy I've found something else that's approved *and* great exercise!
12 posts Page 1 of 2