12 posts Page 1 of 2
I must admit that I get confused with my vitamin d levels and what to supplement but my daughter (now 3) is even more of a worry. I did approach the gp to get her tested earlier this year with my concerns for her being an offspring of someone with ms and being mixed race. My gp didn't want to test and wrote to my neurologist for advice. I couldn't believe the response and took it so seriously that it went in the bin. Basically I had no reason for concern and no need to test or supplement! I then tested us both through a postal test just at the end of April. My daughter was around 56 and I think I was 71. We passed with flying colours according to the lab! Anyway, I was a little concerned, especially with my daughter, who had been getting some vitamin d supplement, along the RDA levels. However, as we were going on holiday shortly after, I thought I would just focus on getting out in the sun. We then had another holiday about 6 weeks later and a really good summer with plenty of time outdoors. I have again supplemented since the weather changed at a higher level (1000iu) a day (she only weighs about 17kg) and just ordered another test kit for us. I am interested to see the result but to me it is always after the event that you find out the levels and I still wouldn't be sure what to supplement when there is no potential sunshine for months. Would it differ much depending on what the results show? Anyway, I do get confused :(. I will post further when we get our results.
Don't worry about getting her tested, just supplement based on weight - 1000IU per 10kg
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/
So if she weighs 17kg, you could give her 2000IU/day or 9000IU/week.
Vitamin D drops are more convenient for children.
I have started 'drugging' my boys - I put a couple of drops of Vit D into their morning orange juice. They are 12 and 10. Been doing it for a couple of weeks, they have been quite chirpy.

I have not tested their Vit d levels but as my eldest spends most of his time on the computer bound to br really low.

I read somewhere that a higher than expected proportion of MS sufferers were born in April. I am 31st March so nearly fits!
I am March 20; Mom was pregnant with me through an upstate New York winter - yikes.

My children - 11 and 15 - take a 5000 pill every day.
As we are now living in England, I look out the window almost every day and think no amount
could be too much.
My understanding is that even if they don't need that much, it won't hurt them.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!!

They know what they are taking and why. They know why I eat the way I do, even if they don't
partake of all of my potions and bowls of mystery goo.
They are learning that this way of eating will be a powerful tool in their lives too, with or
(hopefully) without MS.
Information is power!

Sarah
I do not know where I stand on the Vitamin D topic, I follow the recommendations for the OMS lifestyle and feel great doing it.
But as a child I was always in the outdoors, growing up in a country town one of my mums rules was just be home before the street lights came on! Our family's lifestyle revolved around outdoor activities all year. Up until I was 20 yo I would be more likely to have skin cancer than MS! From 17 to 20 I worked as a builder spend hours on building frames out in the sun.
Maybe my problem was that my body wasn't absorbing the vitamin d? I believe getting our children into the outdoors is a great thing for their health but will it alter their MS course? I just don't know?
1st sign no diagnosis Oct 1999, DX 2007, SPMS 2011.
Hi Lusky

Yes getting out in the sun will alter their MS course; the evidence, mostly from Australian studies, is quite clear. Those with higher sun exposure in childhood, especially in winter, have significantly less risk of developing MS.

Be well

George
Hi everyone

I give my kids (5 & 15 months) a multi vitamin that has vitamin d in everyday.Is tthat not enough and should I be upping the dose?

Thanks
Hello, I was finally diagnosed with ms in September although I had my first relapse in Jan 2010. I changed my diet 18 months ago and feel loads better and I've recently started supplementing with vitamin d. I weigh 9 stone and take a 5000iu tablet per day and two tablets (10000) on a Sunday, but I was wondering if I could use my vit d on my children. They are 12 and 14 years old and weigh around 8 stone.

The only thing that concerned me was that my vit d says for ADULTS ONLY. Would this be a problem.
I am quite sure that the rules regarding vitamin D for adults apply for children too.
A good site for information could be: http://www.vitamindcouncil.org

Peter
There is some good information on Family members and MS on this part of the site, there is also a calculation for Vitamin D and children

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... y-Members/

Have a good new year

Brian
12 posts Page 1 of 2