8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi OMS family :)

As I have recently posted, I have received results of an MRI that shows no new lesions for the second year running. Before receiving these results I told myself, and my family, that if I had good results I would go ahead and try for a second baby. I am 31 and have a 2 1/2 year old little boy.

3 months after giving birth to my son I had 2 of the biggest relapses I have ever had. I could hardly walk for 3 months and then immediately after that I couldn't see properly for 2 months with terrible blurred vision. So 5 months of difficulty with a new baby. I did go through a difficult birth - 35 hours of labour, reaching 8 cm dilated then having an emergency C-section with a baby who weighed 10lb12. So I kind of blame the relapses on the stress of that, plus I was eating a lot of high fat rubbish as I hadn't yet discovered swank or OMS, wasn't taking vit D etc.

I know that nobody can tell me for sure but I would really appreciate the advice or opinions of the people here. Would the likelihood of me having a relapse be less now that I am on the right path? I am so desperate to have another baby but am so scared about having another relapse that bad. I would be having an elective C-section to avoid what happened last time and because I expect another big baby.

I know that I am probably asking the unanswerable but you are all the only people who truly understand and I would really appreciate your thoughts as it's keeping me awake at night.

Thank you xx
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
Great link below :-)
I have learnt I can't prepare for everything and I can't control everything so I try to look at just dealing with the what ever.
Have you read the Pregnancy and MS page Denise?
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... cy-and-MS/
Thank you for the replies.

Veg, you are right. I do find it very hard to not be in control in a lot of areas of my life!

Wendy, yes I have read through it many times and it does reassure me somewhat but I still have a massive nagging fear. I was hoping that some women who have had children since diagnosis might be able to offer their experiences/opinions.

I don't know, I suppose I'm just wanting someone to make the decision for me or to have a look in their crystal ball! It's possibly the hardest thing I've ever had to decide!
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
If I was in your shoes, and if you have lots of family support then I would go for it.

If you could hold off to your first was a touch older that might help too? In that they will be toilet trained well, bit of a help, less tantrums and possibly in kindy and school.

I would ensure I had loads of help...accept meals, help with oldest etc.

Having children is so amazing albeit hard so why let this ridiculous disease take that away especially if u want the second and are doing so well!

At least you know what u r in for second time round and can plan for it

Lots of love to you!
I agree with surfergirl. You are young. Go with your heart, better than regrets xxx
Oh Denise, I know exactly what's going through your head! I empathise completely with wanting someone else to make the decision - that's exactly what I told my doctor. In some weird twisted way, I even told myself it would be good to have a relapse as that would seal my decision for me (as a no, lol). But I've made the decision to do it *gulp*. I am now 9 weeks pregnant! At the end of the day, we gave ourselves a limited time to get pregnant (4 months of "trying"), and this way it was up to nature/god/faith/whatever you believe in to make the decision for us.

I didn't have MS when I had my first child (now 3.5yo) so I don't have the previous bad post-birth experience to draw on. But I did consider it, and although I'm going to do whatever it takes to make sure I don't have a post-natal relapse, IF I do I'll just have to consider it part of the process of bringing my second child into the world. Just like childbirth: terrible at the time, but in the grand scheme of things, something you're prepared to go through for the joy that the child will bring you for the rest of your life. (Feel free to disregard this if you like... as I said I've not been through it before, but this is how I helped to justify it to myself).

I also focussed on some of the other reasons for having a second. I'd planned to have two and I'd made a commitment to myself that I'm going to follow OMS to make sure that MS isn't going to control my life. So why would I change important things in my life, such as the size of my family, to accommodate MS? The other thing I thought of was my long-term future. There are no guarantees about anything - MS or not. If for some reason I'm not able to be there for my child/grandchildren when they're older, at least this way they're going to have a sibling or aunt/uncle.

Are you in the Facebook group for Mums/Mums-to-Be who are following OMS? There's quite a few of us in there and a couple who are pregnant now. Let me know if you're interested in joining us, and I'll figure out how to invite you.

Best of luck with your decision, and feel free to PM me if you want to chat further xo
Thank you for your replies, it's much appreciated :)

Suffer Girl, I think that you could be right about waiting until my son's a bit older. Maybe we will leave it for a few months and then see how I am feeling then.

Jodie, you're right I am young (although don't always feel it!) Thank you for your opinion, it's exactly what I needed.

CB, Congratulations, that is wonderful news! It seems that I have the same thoughts as you about the reasons for having a second child. I have always planned on having two children. Also, having a sibling if I was not able to be around is a major factor for me wanting another.
I am not in the Facebook group but would be interested in joining, thank you!

xx
DX 03/2008
Swank 04/2012
OMS 04/2013
8 posts Page 1 of 1