6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi All;

I'm newly pregnant (9 weeks!) and already have many questions about what to do re: feeding. I thought I'd start a general thread about it, so all my questions over the coming months are in one place for future mums-to-be to refer as well.

First off, a disclaimer: Yes, I'm aware that breastfeeding is recommended for both mum and baby (risk of post-birth relapse and risk of getting MS in future), and if possible this is my preference.

My first question: My neurologist has been quite adamant (and has even written to both my GP and my obstetrician and told them) that I should not breastfeed and should instead start Gilenya on the day after the birth in hospital. His stance is that there has been no randomised control trial to show the benefits of breastfeeding. Of course, I'm aware that there is no way they could do a randomised trial for this. Does anyone know of a medical study or report that I could show him, (that he might actually read!) that highlights the benefits of breastfeeding? My main concern is more about protecting my baby from future MS, so anything that focuses on breastfeeding and development of MS would be great.

Thanks for your help! :)
Hi CB,

Crikey! A man telling a woman that she can't breastfeed? For whatever reason, I can't stomach that idea. It's your choice. The lack of a randomised controlled trial is not in itself proof that exclusive breastfeeding does not protect again relapse.

Follow the advice of your heart and soul. And continue OMS.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
Hi,
First of all congratulations! Such wonderful news. I was so thrown by your neurologist's advice I immediately pulled this up on the internet. Found this on the St Barts (hospital) website.

http://multiple-sclerosis-research.blog ... ses_8.html

Do know there are a few new (ish) mothers on this website so I am sure you will get lots of great advice,
Best,
Rachel
Congratulations :-)
Ultimately it is your body, your baby and your combined health.
I guess if this same neurologist has no backing for lifestyle changes you can see where there breadth of knowledge is I also judge quality of advice from how well the giver looks if they are fat and pasty I ignore it
Take a read of the excellent pregnancy and children area to help you.
But it is your decision don't be bullied into a decision you would not otherwise have taken.
Hi CB

I got some study links from Catriona, an OMSer who is a research scientist and has recently had her first baby. As she is on maternity leave, her ability to access journals at home is not as great as it is at work, so there is probably quite a bit more out there.

Here they are:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/19506118/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/21 ... +sclerosis

I hope this helps.
Cheers,

Sue

OMG December 2011 OMS January 2012 OMS Retreat March 2012 Benign MS Sep 2015
Two Very Mild Relapses since diagnosis. Copaxone May 2013 No new lesions on MRI since diagnosis
I do not have medical study or report but breastfeeding is important for your child, you can always use baby formulas on the side as well and slowly shift him to the formula completely. There are lots of brands of baby formula brands out there that i believe are pretty good!
6 posts Page 1 of 1