4 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi there, this is my first post on this website.

I have recently been diagnosed with moderate RRMS. I am a 26 yr old female with 1 child.

Current Symptoms-Reduced feeling/numbness in legs and feet, horrible heaviness in head, blurry vision, trouble with balance and thinking, on and off tightness in left of face.

First symptom was about 1 month after birth of my 4 month old. Numbing in right arm and thumb and index finger, then started on my left hip and progressed to groin and down legs etc. MRI showed mutliple lesions in brain and a couple on my spine.

I have been to see a neurologist and have been given a list of medications to look at and decide which treatment I would like to commence. An infusion called 'Tysabri' or two tablets, 'Gilenya or Tecfidera'. All of which i cannot breatfeed with and all have different potential risks. Tysabri with a risk of PML :/

I have no idea about what to do, how to choose or if i should wait and continue to breastfeed my baby until she's a bit older. Breastfeeding has always been important to me. I understand that she has had the best start already with breastfeeding for almost 5 months however still stressing about everything..

Any advice would be amazing as most of this has gone above my head and im trying to grasp everything. These forums have already given me hope and some understanding. :) Thanks

From, one scared mummy
Hi JJ,

While I hesitate to give you any advice, I wanted to share that I had a 3 yr old and a 6 mo old when I was diagnosed. It was terrifying, so I completely understand where you are at. I had never been sick with anything other than the usual cold, flu, etc so when my doctor told me I needed to be on the meds I just did it. I didn't do any research, I just took his word for it. I did the once a week interferon shot. I lasted 10 weeks and said no more. The side effects were crippling to me and I had read the OMS book during those 10 weeks and had already implemented all the changes, so I was confident in my decision---no more drugs. That was nearly 3 years ago and I haven't looked back. My point is---do your research, think long and hard what is best for YOU. Don't let the doctors pressure you into doing something you aren't 100% ok with. If you can't continue to breastfeed then please don't beat yourself up. Your baby will be fine! Focus on you because all your baby needs is a healthy mama who can take care of her and the best way to do that is put yourself first---hard I know! Good luck.

I was also diagnosed with a nearly 3 yr. old and 4-mo-old. I was losing vision in one eye, numbness, tingling, weakness, etc.

My doctor recommended Copaxone, it's supposed to be the safest for breastfeeding. I only stopped nursing while I was being treated with steroids. Although admittedly, I delayed starting any medication as long as I could.

I'm rushing after my kids right now but I just wanted to let you know you're not alone. Do lots of research and know that your baby has already nursed longer than most. Hugs, mama. It's not far from easy but follow your gut.
You must be in the US... lots of pressure to take a medication there. In many places in the world you wouldn't be offered these drugs at all. I was diagnosed with MS at a time when my partner and I were discussing having children so I decided not to start a drug, but to look into alternative therpaies for MS. I eventually came to OMS, started the lifestyle changes and never looked back... no more seeing American neurologists for me as starting a family was too important, and they basically won't talk to you if you don't take one of their drugs (I was at the Partners MS clinic in Boston). I had similar symptoms to yours at diagnosis. Anyway, now I have a 3 year old and a 4 month old. I no longer have MS symptoms, despite being told at diagnosis 6 years ago that I was only going to have increasing disability. I breastfed my 3 year old for nearly 3 years. He weaned while I was pregnant with my second child, about 6 months into the pregnancy. I'm breastfeeding my 4 month old now and hope to continue for as long as she'd like to as well. Breastfeeding is a part of a child's immune system, and I think if you can continue, then do so. Breastfeeding may have a protective effect for women with MS. The normal biological duration for breastfeeding is 2.5 to 7 years, and it is very important for children's health.

I think you should give the other lifestyle changes a chance and not start a drug that will end your breastfeeding relationship. It's true that OMS is not anti-drug itself, BUT the other lifestyle changes have greater impact on disease activity than the drugs, so you don't have to sacrifice breastfeeding for an MS drug.
Dx June 2009
OMS December 2010
4 posts Page 1 of 1

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests