6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi I've had to speak more to my children recently about how ms affects me at times and it's proving quite challenging as up til now I've been able to silently deal with it. I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position?

It's mainly my legs when I've been on my feet but as you know symptoms are rarely the same two days in a row! I'm looking into getting a folding stick to help me walk a bit further and they've said they'd like to help me choose one... Could be interesting!! My 7yr old is concerned that people will make fun of her but she is actually really caring normally! It's hard to hear when your child says that, even though I know she doesn't mean to be hurtful. I'm not looking forward to the first time people see me with it either. It doesn't bother me if people know I have ms but I just don't want to attract attention. Anyway it has to be done and as I said to my kids a stick means I will be able to do more with you, not less!
hec71 wrote: Hi I've had to speak more to my children recently about how ms affects me at times and it's proving quite challenging as up til now I've been able to silently deal with it. I was wondering if anyone else is in a similar position?

It's mainly my legs when I've been on my feet but as you know symptoms are rarely the same two days in a row! I'm looking into getting a folding stick to help me walk a bit further and they've said they'd like to help me choose one... Could be interesting!! My 7yr old is concerned that people will make fun of her but she is actually really caring normally! It's hard to hear when your child says that, even though I know she doesn't mean to be hurtful. I'm not looking forward to the first time people see me with it either. It doesn't bother me if people know I have ms but I just don't want to attract attention. Anyway it has to be done and as I said to my kids a stick means I will be able to do more with you, not less!

I'm not in your position, and chose not to have kids in fear of getting worse, but just wanted to add somethings as I spend a lot of times with kids and understand how they think.
The bully thing may not happen as many kids have someone in Their family who uses a walking stick. It's not that abnormal. If they do get teased it won't last as kids move on to the next interesting thing pretty quickly. It especially won't last if your child doesn't give them the reaction that makes it carry on.
What you can do is hold your head up high, kids pick up on your mood. If you are ashamed they will be ashamed.

With my m.s I explain to kids that I'm like a person in a video game with only so much energy, I sometimes have to save some to spend later on.

I hope all goes well for you.
X
Hi Blueberry

Thankyou for your kind reply. I like the video game analogy! I'm sure I will use that one! I said to them it's a bit like using batteries then needing to rest and recharge them.

Thanks for the good reminder not to be ashamed. It's sometimes hard to take your own advice as that's how I tell my children to be!

Thanks again for helping me to feel better.
Hi

I don't have children, but I do have a young nephew. He was only 3 months old when I had to start using crutches, so has just accepted them as part of me, but the last time I saw him (he's now nearly 4) he told me off for not walking properly ("No, Auntie Rachel, you do it like this" *cue: demonstration of how to walk properly*!).

I recently came across this article about a man who has written a book for his disabled daughter where all the superheroes have disabilities. Might be good for children who are older and more questioning of disability?:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... are_btn_tw

Rachel
I think it helps children accept others who are not the same and help them grow into open and supportive people who are more aware of other people's needs.
Thankyou Rachel and veg for your helpful posts. I'm having to make quite a few changes at the moment but involving my children more and being able to be more open about how I'm feeling feels really good!

I really appreciate all the support on this forum, it is reassuring to know that it's here. Thanks again.

Hec
6 posts Page 1 of 1