3 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi OMSers,

Hope you are all well and thank you all in advance.

My situation is as follows:
- I was diagnosed in 2013 and was put on tecfidera
- I switched for a period if time to copaxone for a period if time while trying to conceive but it wasn't working well and so went back onto Tecfidera.
- Disease has been stable since then
- it's take about 5 years and 5 rounds of IVF to get preggers!
- I had some very obvious tells that I was pregnant and took myself off tecfidera straight away. I'm currently not on anything and haven't decided if I should/will move to Copaxone again.
- I have endometriosis (associated with 76% increase chance of miscarriage) and hence want to try to do everything possible to increase my chances of going to full term. There is a pretty convincing amount of evidence that suggest high consumption of dairy and protein (esp animal protein) are inversely linked with miscarriage.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26457232

What to do? My understanding is that it takes a long time (years?) to alter the constitution of cell membranes so they behave optimally (not sticky/prone to degeneration) so concerned about going off the diet for once I am no longer protected by pregnancy. Eek...
Diagnosed 2013
OMS retreat Feb 2016
Tecfidera
Any know if there is a way to get official advice from the great folks at OMS?
Diagnosed 2013
OMS retreat Feb 2016
Tecfidera
Hi Mella,
this is in no way an official response from the OMS-people, but only a personal comment by one of the your fellow forum members.
I looked up the link which you stated in order to find the advice for proteins of animal origin, but could not find it. The study to which you linked is
A. J. Gaskins, T. L. Toth, J. E. Chavarro, Prepregnancy Nutrition and Early Pregnancy Outcomes, in: Curr Nutr Rep. 2015 Sep;4(3):265-272. Epub 2015 Jun 25.
(It‘s open access and can be read in full online.)
I couldn’t discover any recommendation of proteins of animal origin in this paper. It contained a clear recommendation of folate (found in plants); a clear warning against alcohol, perhaps even against caffeine, but nothing about proteins from dairy or meat.
If you are concerned you might get too little protein on the OMS diet, you could increase your fish consumption, which would be perfectly within the OMS guidelines. But take care to avoid fish from the upper end of the food chain, that is predatory fish like salmon and esp. tuner, swordfish, shark, because they contain so much mercury and other pollutants that the fetus could suffer (see https://nutritionfacts.org/video/how-lo ... pregnancy/ or https://nutritionfacts.org/video/mercur ... velopment/ ).
Personally, I do not think, that even a completely vegan pregnancy would be irresponsible or riskier. Michael Greger has on his www.nutritionfacts.org website many videos with advice what to observe when pregnant and vegan (type in “vegan” and “pregnancy”).
It seems to me that it should be no problem at all to stay away from dairy and meat during pregnancy.
Hope, this helps.
Best wishes
Zoë
3 posts Page 1 of 1