15 posts Page 2 of 2
Your father might be low fat but still eat meat.
I avoid soya any product as it upsets my system.
I would like to think your cholesterol will follow a downward direction with your diet change (you dumped dairy).
I'd personally have oats with berries for breakfast, strawberries today as in season. Oats are a great soluble fiber.
Hi tiddlesjim,

I'd be inclined to agree with Keithjwaz re. stomach acid. I saw a nutritionist last year and suggested I test myself for low stomach acid using the bicarb test which roughly went as follows: https://healthesolutions.com/health-e-t ... acid-test/

The Baking Soda Stomach Acid Test
Here’s the quick, at-home way to see if you have low stomach acid:
Mix 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda in 110-170 mls of cold water first thing in the morning before eating or drinking anything.
Drink the baking soda solution.
Time how long it takes you to belch. Time up to five minutes.
If you have not belched within five minutes stop timing.

"In theory, if your stomach is producing adequate amounts of stomach acid you’ll likely belch within two to three minutes. Early and repeated belching may be due to excessive stomach acid (but don’t confuse these burps with small little burps from swallowing air when drinking the solution). Any belching after 3 minutes indicates a low acid level."

Also as an aside I'm not sure drinking a glass of water before every meal is a good idea as it may be diluting stomach acid and digestive juices further exacerbating the problem.

Hope you get to the bottom of it soon.
Keithjwaz - started on apple cider vinegar this morning - and also bought some DGL - today no pain just a little discomfort - huge step forward - many thanks for you help :)

Veg - yes father has always continued to eat chicken, no other meat tho

rafticon - many thanks for you advice - will try it

Thanks to all for your assistance - very much appreciated :)
If you do a blat of change you will get lost working out what was the thing that made the difference and end up tied to lots of changes.
I'd do a change for a week. Then stop see what happens then try one of the other things see if that was better then the first change give it a week of similar eating. Etc. It is not like you are trying any different medications. Though I did not read other member links to see if they were medications.
veg - much better idea understand what you mean - many thanks :)
15 posts Page 2 of 2