87 posts Page 5 of 9
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
Gareth--

I would love to get your recipe for spicy scallop vegetable soup and homemade fruit chutney if you have time...No rush.
Looking at your diary if me I would swap all the soy products for rice milk and can the processed yugurts..
I personally do not get on with soy, appear to be sensitive to it.
Alcahol flattens me, so that might be why you say you feel a little off.
I think that the chutney was made from this recipe:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/green ... utney_8201

As for the soup, I think that just came out of my head but I promise I'll post a recipe to the recipes section at some point.

With regard to soy, I hear what your saying and Legumes are a food that I may try a period of abstinence from at some point; I am probably more suspicious of gluten at present though and at the moment, I think I would struggle to get enough calories in without soy. The professor allows soy milk and I am trusting his findings for the time being. Besides, I have tried oat and rice milk and found them both to be rather unpalatable, Maybe you are right about alcohol but right now after giving up one part of my personality (the food critic and gastronome), I don't feel ready to give up the alcohol loving part; I want to recognise the face that I am seeing in the mirror. If the disease comes on in leaps and bounds, then it will win of course, it always does and I will have to make further sacrifices.

Gareth
I prefer to have tea and coffee black after years of adding milk! I find I only use soy milk in curries as coconut milk by adding a little coconut essence - works a treat, and doesn't separate when heated like the other milks. I also buy rice milk with added chickpeas which is nice enough to drink chilled especially as iced chocolate.

Re alcohol - I enjoy wine, never been a beer drinker. I do find though that in some social situations I drink very little now, maybe it's just age.

Alcohol in moderation is OK on this diet and looking at Gareth's diaries he has alcohol free days - exactly what "in moderation" means. It's a personal thing - I enjoy alcohol so I drink it.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
What about almond milk?? They have regular and vanilla and it comes in 40, 60 or 90 calories per serving.
I personally think that soy is ok unless you are allergic to it. Just my own thoughts.
Alcahol comment was more about maybe one glass and not two if that agrees with you better :)

I have read the China Study, I have also been looking very closely at DrMcDougall, who would have taken on Swank's patients as had been in discussion with him before he retired but at that time while still working in the medical arena directly (hospital based) that hositpal said we don't want those patients... any way. Animal protien (meat/fish) is inflamatory and we do not need anywhere near the amount that we commonly consume. There is protien in a whole food plant based diet, all that we need.
If you want to find out more to add to your readings then could visit http://www.drmcdougall.com

I thought the food diary was animal protien too heavy, breakfast, lunch and dinner is high on imflamatory foods.
The OMS diet whilst it does not state no animal protien, it is in the 'in moderation' section, so that for me means a whole food diet with 'some' animal protiens, not some every day and in more than one meal.

BBD allows far too much animal protien I feel, I took from it no gluten (which agrees with me personally) and I only do not eat legumes because I have a sensitivity to them.

I am still fine tuning my diet nearly three years later, we are all doing so well by embracing making changes :)
I totally suck at weighing and measuring food (don't even cook according to recipes unless I'm baking - which doesn't happen any more unless I'm being particularly kind to my non-diet-following husband).
Typical day has unlimited cups of tea (Lady Grey, with no milk or sugar)
Breakfat = porridge (oats, probably ~ tbsp each of linseeds, sunflower seeds and green pumpkin seeds, probably ~ 2-3 tbsps frozen blueberries) with some linseed oil stirred in at end (probably somewhere between 10 and 20 ml)
Lunch = always bought on a workday (working full time = too knackered to cook everything from scratch). Either some kind of pasta or bean salad, or a carton of soup. Always check the labels, always under 2g saturated fat.
Dinner = usually homemade, varies a lot more. Often fish, sometimes vegan (in which case often aubergine), sometimes skinless chicken breast with something carb-based (baked potato, pasta, rice - if pasta or rice often wholemeal but sometimes not c.f. non-diet-following husband) and fresh veg. E.g. Baked potato with tinned tuna chunks and broccoli or savoy cabbage drizzled in EVOO and lemon juice, pasta with aubergine and tomato sauce, stir fried salmon or chicken and mixed veg (peppers, broccoli, onion, green beans) drizzled with soy sauce, honey and sesame oil.
Snacks = 2 pieces of fruit (I vary what fruit - apples, banans, satsuma, pears etc), 1 x Eat Natural bar, often 1x glass fruit juice, sometimes 1 x packet sesame snaps, sometimes 1 x packet fruit pastilles, sometimes 1 x small handful raw almonds, sometimes (bad!) roasted salted pistachios.

Suppose I should do the weighing/measuring thing for a few typical meals and try to actually examine how well they fit within the OMS diet...
Is sesame oil allowed??? I thought I may have read that it is in the book, but then I thought only Evoo was allowed as far as oils go.
The sitr-fry sounds good---do you stir fry w/ water? or veg. broth? adding the soy sauce, honey, sesame oil afterwards??
It sounds like something I would like to add to my recipe collection!

As far as animal protein being inflamatory, I guess thats true, but, all of these diets have been successful for so many people..and they have been eating animal proteins...so maybe they are not so inflamatory after all, or something else in the diets is counteracting the inflamation.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

I for one do eat animal protein twice a day several times a week--a little canned salmon on my salad with lunch and then some other fish for dinner. But not every day. I do have legumes for protein a few times a week for dinner or Ill just have pasta, rice or quinoa with veggies.
There is protien in all veg and grains to differing amounts.
The balance has to be the volume I expect, and having animal protien at more than one meal a day is getting on a par with the western diet perhaps.
but this is my tqke on diet :)
Let's be clear; the professor allows animal protein and white fish is in the "eat whenever" section and not in the "eat moderately" section.

The BBD also allows moderate use of animal products and I have heard their group leader argue quite strongly that some meat/fish can be quite ant-inflammatory. Andrew Watson his name is, he post some very interesting messages to the mailing list albeit some of it in disagreement with the program that we are following here. I recommend that you join that mailing list to see what is going on there. The nutrition data website would seem to back this up; take a look at the entries for cod and rabbit, both are listed as anti-inflammatory:

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/lam ... cts/4650/2
http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/fin ... cts/4042/2

This is an interesting discussion though because for some reason the professor has ruled out meat and not fish; this has been talked about a bit in the "Animal Protein" topic. Are there some different proteins in meat that are dangerous and aren't in fish; I can't see how it can be the saturated fat which rules meat out. Yes there is plenty of saturated fat in some meats but there are other meats that have relatively little.

Gareth
Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 Next
87 posts Page 5 of 9