3 posts Page 1 of 1
Can swimming constitute meditation? After all, there is such a thing as walking meditation, meaning meditation and movement are not mutually exclusive.

Went to the pool yesterday and swam 1000 m, and I have to say my mind goes completely, utterly blank when I do this - I really turn into a machine, head under water (mostly...), just breathing, moving, breathing, moving for 30 minutes.

Upon leaving the pool, I was almost ecstatic and felt 100 % great. Does that count as meditation, canonically? Would be great, because it would mean that you can catch two birds with one stone, exercise and meditation...

;-)

Any opinions out there?

Be well,

Tanja
I think so!

But If you haven't, I would find out about what being mindfull is so that you're sure that you're being mindfull while you swim. But I think it definitely can be. I've done it on the elliptical machine, with a mediation tape and closing my eyes. It depends on whether you're being mindfull.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
i think swimming can definately be regarded as a form of meditation, it can be so good at bringing us into the present moment and being aware of the senses.
i find that if i do not concentrate so much on the distance i expect to travel and just swim without counting i generally know when i have done enough and i am content.

i also use swimming as a good visualisation tool, by picturing the line down the centre of the lane as the pathways of my nerves and i am travelling through them, the water gives resistance but gradually i get better at travelling through it.
1st sign no diagnosis Oct 1999, DX 2007, SPMS 2011.
3 posts Page 1 of 1