6 posts Page 1 of 1
I've just finished reading a really interesting book called Mindful Eating by Jan Chozen Bays, with a foreword by Jon Kabat-Zinn, who I've seen mentioned on this forum. It's about learning to distinguish between stomach hunger and the various other reasons we consume food and mindfulness is considered to play a major role in this.

Anyway, in the book, Jan uses a really helpful analogy to describe meditation and I thought it was worth sharing. Quite simply, "It is best to meditate every day, making this part of your personal health care or hygiene, like taking a shower (for your mind)."

Don't you just love that?

Yes! I like the analogy of taking a shower too.

And there are lots of opportunities for mindfulness every day.

Yesterday for example, when I woke up, I took a few mindful breaths, half smiled and thought to myself that it was going to be a good day.

I was early for my yoga class so I sat cross legged in the sun. closed my eyes and just listened and breathed - I could hear birds, my heartbeat. I could also hear a car and someone hammering but it was not at all intrusive. I could feel the sun on my face, the surface beneath me, my tee shirt against my neck, the breeze. I could have sat for ages.

Wendy
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Hi Dani

I love the quote beneath your name.

Its true a happy persona usually makes others happy.

As for the shower bit - i am lazy maybe I should learn to mediate in the shower - not very ecologically sound, but anything to kick start my returning to trying to meditate. I keep telling myself I'm too busy when I know I am patently not .I'm just lazy.
Thank you for your thoughts! That quote comes from Yogi Bhajan, who introduced Kundalini Yoga to the west. I really love Kundalini practice - a session encompasses kriyas (moving yoga asanas), mantra and meditation. The kriyas are really energising and great for strength and flexibility. Chanting mantra really releases stress and negativity. And everything you've done up to then is to prepare you for the meditation.

Although to me it means much more, it's a perfect way to multi-task - aerobic, flexibility developing resistance training, followed by stress reduction and meditation. All in an hour!

Honestly, I float on air when I've finished. And sleep like a baby.

I do and I love Zinn. I do his lying down meditation every day while on the eliptical. It seems to work. He has the most amazing way of explaining. If anyone wants, I'll send them the opening recordings from his CD.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
A shower for the mind is exactly what it is. If you don't shower every day then you get dirty my friends.

Gareth
6 posts Page 1 of 1