17 posts Page 2 of 2
Good morning Lozza,
In my view meditation will address all the things you raised. I have been meditating for 10 years now and am a relatively calm person as a result. Also being a teacher of yoga & meditation helps! For me the key has been to use different methods because every day is different and so am I. Some days I listen to meditation music, other times I use mindful meditation but my preferred is to use a technique I was taught in yoga. And that is to visualise a square on the inside of the mind and breath around the square to the count of four. So starting in the bottom left hand corner of the square inhale to a count of four, across the top hold the breath to the count of four, down the right hand side exhale to the count of four and along the bottom be without breath for the count of four. I work with 7 rounds and then simply be in the silence/space for as long as I need. I know this seems rather complicated but it does work. Also practice & persistence pays!
Good luck.
Hello all,

Not been round for a while. All I can say about meditation is: you don't have to like it, you just have to do it (even if it irritates you). I have no idea why or how it works but it does. My life has been so much better since starting meditating 18 months ago. It took months until I began to notice the difference in my life, but I am really glad that I persevered. I am so much more relaxed these days, my sleeping is better, and I feel far more focussed. All of these things must surely be good for someone that has MS. I also have a greater sense of perspective than before, although becoming a father and having MS have also probably got something to do with this.

If you told me two years ago that I would be a meditator, I would have laughed at you; I had always assumed that it was something new age or spiritual. I am a non-spiritual, coldly logical atheist but I will be meditating until the day that I die. Alex has already recommended Kabat-Zinn to you; his work is excellent and it is completely non-religious which suits my type.

I have just negotiated an interminable relapse, maintaining a bright and sunny outlook throughout, and I'm now out the other side feeling pretty damn good. At least some of this is down to meditation I'm sure.

Just give it a go. What have you got to lose? Meditation is the stress killer, and we all know how bad stress is for people with MS.
Hi Lozza,
I was lucky enough to be introduced to meditation at a Gawler Overcoming MS retreat - I'm not sure I would have been able to get started without an actual teacher to guide me through the process. So perhaps you could find a class and see what happens? After a year of meditation (that has definitely helped with my response to stress, the way I cope with MS and most importantly HOW I NOW SEE MY LIFE'S PURPOSE) I picked up a copy of Ian Gawler and Paul Bedson's book 'Meditation: an In Depth guide'. I have been slowly working through it, incorporating it all into the daily 30-45 minute meditation that I already do. I have found it incredibly helpful and reckon it is so well written you could probably learn to meditate just from that book. But you would need to be quite committed to it, learning the 'scripts' you need to go through to make each practice work properly for you. The advantage of a teacher is that they do all that part for you, and by the time you leave the class you kind of know the scripts off by heart so you can put all your energy into just getting on and meditating.
Look, I really can't recommend meditation highly enough - it is life-saving, life changing...all the things we are looking for here on this site right?
I would recommend counselling/therapy for any hurtful emotions too - you are worth it. And apparently if you are meditating it helps the counselling to be more effective. I am doing both and it is definitely helping.
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
Hi Gareth, nice to see you back.
Yes, Gareth: Welcome back and I agree with you.

You guys might be interested to read this about meditation increasing the grey matter in people's brains in as few as 8 weeks.

http://www.realage.com/health-tips/medi ... d=13681647

Alex
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks for all your posts. There's a lot to consider, but it seems I really need a teacher or some guided meditations to listen to, or I will never get the hang of this! At the moment, I am doing a progressive muscle exercise at night. It's really helping me relax and sleep, so presumably it is doing good things to the body. Cheers,
Loz.
Lozza,

get yourself on itunes and look under the podcasts for meditation. There are free ones, so it won't cost you a penny to try.

Laura
17 posts Page 2 of 2