8 posts Page 1 of 1
Just started reading it and thought there might have been a thread about it already, but I couldn't find a lot so I thought I'd open one.
I think it would be nice to chat about the book and how we find it makes us progress. Perhaps inspire other to read it. Just a thought...
'The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it'
Chinese proverb.

Babette
I like the idea of a book review thread!
I haven't ever seen this book. What have you read
so far? Has it helped you with your meditation?
Eager to hear more,
Sarah
Yes I have read it, and worked through it very slowly, which I think is important. Don't be impatient to get to the end! You need to read a section, then incorporate it into your meditation for a while before moving on. I found it an incredibly helpful book from two great teachers - Paul Bedson was the meditation teacher at the OMS retreat. And Ian Gawler is Ian Gawler.

The only thing I didn't like so much about the book was the section at the end (which the authors admit they're in two minds about including) where it lists milestones on your journey to deeper meditation. So you can read the list and see where you're up to...and then the trouble is you start waiting for the next thing to happen. Well, I did anyway. My suggestion is - don't read this section.

Karen
OMG April 2010 OMS June 2010
Yes Karen, the whole notion of expecting a certain outcome from meditation can sabotage it....

Be well

George
It is my belief that a person who has loved can write about love. But only by loving can you understand the true experience.

The problem is there is no one correct way of loving and the experience can be different for everyone. The same is true of the experience of meditation. No one can adequately tell you what it is like!

What they can do however is to point you in the right direction and allow you to find out for yourself. I thought that Ian Gawler's book on meditation is a good start but you can only meditate by doing it. Books on meditation can inspire and motivate but it's not possible for them to give you the experience.
‘You are, through your soul not your body, a human being’.
At this point I can only talk about my reasons to choose to read the book and my expectations as I am literally only just starting...
None of my friends or family have joined me with meditation or OMS , most of them respect it, some understand it, but there are none to discuss anything with! So my OMS friends are my only source of discussion on the subject of meditation.
My expectations of the book are pretty much none, I don't mean this negatively, I am sure it will enrich me but I have no preconceived idea of where it SHOULD take me:

When someone write a non fiction, they give us a part of them and allow us to' be with them' for that time. George might guess but never know that a reader has a great time as he reads his book, discovered his story, shared his emotions and learned from his knowledge.
What a privilege to spend some time with interesting people who have such rich experience on any subject we choose to read!
So I have thought to myself that I'd like to spend some time with Iain Gowler and Paul Benson and have a chat about meditation, it doesn't replace my meditation but it sure is something I look forward to! And until I have the pleasure to meet them it will do nicely . ;)
Chinese proverb.

Babette
'There are many ways of making the approach to meditation as joyfully as possible. You can transform the most ordinary rooms into an intimate sacred space, an environment where every day you go to meet with your true self with all the joy and happy ceremony of one old friend greeting another.'
P61.
When I was very disabled, I was beating myself up for not being able to look after my family: I kept trying to get up to attempt to do something and would just make myself so unwell and so miserable because of the guilt and the stress it caused me. A friend of mine, I was confiding in, asked me if it had been my best friend who felt this way, what would I think, what would I advise?' Be your own best friend', she said.'treat yourself with the same kindness and care.

I have an inspirational book where I write things that friends have told me that helped and sayings that I like. This advice was the first one that I wrote in my book. I get back to my book when times get tough to remind myself of the good advices and that there are people who care. I really enjoyed that little paragraph of the book that reminded me of it.
Chinese proverb.

Babette
Babette wrote: When someone write a non fiction, they give us a part of them and allow us to' be with them' for that time. George might guess but never know that a reader has a great time as he reads his book, discovered his story, shared his emotions and learned from his knowledge. . ;)

Facts are one thing but when I read a book and experience an emotional reaction to the things I have read I know that my reaction was my own. They were not the exact same emotions experienced by the person that was writing the book. I can empathise with someones suffering or joy but cannot experience or share those feelings in the way that they did.

Likewise, works of fiction, such as a book or film, can bring about feelings or emotions in me but does that help me share the fictitious characters feelings? I think not! What it can do is teach me about myself and my reactions. It can perhaps teach me about empathy and compassion for others. I am a flawed human being, like everyone else, and we are all on our own similar but different path.

With meditation, someone can tell me, or write about, the factual approach that has been useful to them (and perhaps others) but sadly they cannot give me the experiences that they have had themselves. One cannot describe, or give knowledge of, the ineffable.

A teacher may inspire me, and perhaps act as an example, but he cannot give me his knowledge or understanding. That is down to the hard work and aspiration of me the student.

"Seek and you shall find, ask and it shall be given unto you." I believe that this is true of meditation!
‘You are, through your soul not your body, a human being’.
8 posts Page 1 of 1