7 posts Page 1 of 1
One mantra I was using "every day in every way I get better and better", but then I alter it some days "Every day, i can say, my nerves will find another way".
I often use them when I get out of bed in the morning.
1st sign no diagnosis Oct 1999, DX 2007, SPMS 2011.
I simply count up to 10, then start over.

1 on the inhale
2 on the exhale
and so on

Being neutral, it really helps me clear my mind. Repeating just one word or phrase simply doesn't work for me.
Diagnosis and treatment 5/5/2014 - 15/5/2014
OMS started 15/5/2014
Ha! I have so many mantras ranging from " step by step, day by day, my oh my, I'm on my way" to "Let go or be dragged" being my most recent one! Mind over matter as they say!
I do similar breathing to georgeezg but on the inhale I imagine my cells and lesions swelling up with warmth and light, and on the exhale, all the bad bits floating away and out through my fingers and toes.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
A Neuro Psychologist (Hugh Kent at Auckland Hospital,NZ) I saw for awhile, showed me this breathing technique for moments of high anxiety.
1.Take a regular breath.
2. Exhale and be sure to empty your lungs fully, like you have no air left in them, your stomach scrunchs up hollow.
3.Your lungs will naturally fill up and then release(exhale) until they relax, you don't need to do a thing.
You can do it sitting, or lying down in bed when you're having an anxious thought...
That anxious feeling washes over me.

Another Mantra I say often during the course of a day, "Everyone that you meet is fighting a battle that you know nothing about.
Be kind. Always".
I try to simply focus on the breath and empty my mind of anything else whatsoever. I started to do this whilst having acupuncture 6 months ago. 20 needles in the body from chi point in crown of the head to feet and everything in between - 45 beautiful minutes to 1 hour of forced immobility (or else one might lose a needle or two) does focus the mind somewhat.

I have also tried the following:
"I don't think" (all on exhale, inhale just watches the breath as the bellows fill). And
"zaaaaaaa- zen" (za-zen).

I also hear that counting each exhalation to 10 is highly regarded, which has already been mentioned. I have not tried that but I love the idea so I will (zazen).

Out of whimsy & to focus the mind on meditation even more, I bought a Yukata kimono to meditate – in fact I bought two - one white, one black - both with the same inscriptions in Japanese, which is the Heart Sutra which contains a mantra. Alas I don't speak Japanese or the original Sanskrit. I'm still trying to figure out what I can use! But I'm quite keen to use this sutra's mantra - sutra purports to explain the meaning of existence and nonexistence. Enlightenment – Life, the Universe, and Everything without recourse to the number 42!

gate, gate,
paragate,
parasamgate,
bodhi, svaha!

And, of course, I'm going to try all the mantras on this post that all of you wonderful people find helpful – thank you.

F
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
Dalai Lama chanting Heart Sutra mantra to which I was referring above – just discovered it – I really like it – just putting it out there in case anybody else feels a benefit in losing themselves in it too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LvaFdYSD4C0

And a very interesting talk by His Holiness that also covers different techniques of meditation. Note that I have not regarded myself as a Buddhist (although I discovered I Ching & Lao Tse & Tao in 1987, then forgot about it – perhaps I shouldn't have!)

http://t.co/o8PoEgnc6k
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
7 posts Page 1 of 1