7 posts Page 1 of 1
I have been following the program for almost two years but would say that my efforts at meditation are far from great. I struggle to fit meditation in my busy day. I have a dog with whom I walk with twice a day around a park and sometimes try to use this time to put into practice mindful techniques. Can anyone point me in the direction of a good walking meditation which I could do on the dog walk. The dog entertains himself by chasing birds ( which he never catches) and running through muddy puddles so i usually have about 30mins to myself walking around a circuit.
Oh you beautiful fellow OMSer! You brought a MASSIVE smile to my face with your post! Beautiful vision of your dog chasing birds which he never catches – to help me with my mental image can you share what breed he is?!

I'm not terribly experienced at dealing with walking issues with MS – I try to walk mindfully, and mentally chant mantras to myself – I find Heart Sutra mantra, as chanted by the Dalai lama (which I think I've posted previously) to be medititive and find myself using this when I want to focus my mind on walking, when I feel it's not so good, and after a few repititions I find myself walking more confidently and powerfully and enjoying it.

Oh, I walk in barefoot shoes which I think help with posture, but are difficult at first as one is effectively walking barefoot on the pavements or in the park. But it almost feels that one's body is set free from the coffin of one's previous shoes!
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
I'd keep it simple and focus on breathing as you walk around. Just empty head and breathing. Though walking your dog makes it hard as you have to keep attention to it.
Why not walk for 40 minutes with a 10 minute sit on a bench break, dog on lead sat with you, and meditate using your breath.
Dogs are great to meditate with in my (black labrador) experience - they just live in the moment - mindfulness personified!

As Veg says, focus on your breath. Also listen to all the sounds around you, feel the breeze on your face, the sun on your skin, the warmth of your gloves, the ground beneath your feet etc.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Think I'm going to give these suggestions a try as well because though doing what I do helps me focus on my walking - trying not to fall which I am a bit scared of, as OMS lifestyle increasingly improves my walking – but it's pretty useless if you're trying to walk alongside someone else & talk to them!
Farhad
OMS Jul 2014, dx '97-'98, 1st symptoms '91
London, UK
My dog is an adorable auburn coloured Cocker Spaniel of the working variety. He is a sight to behold when he chases the birds as he is so fast. The birds do have the advantage of flight which means that he will never be successful no matter how hard he tries. Still, I think the fun is in the chase.

Anyhow, thanks all for the great suggestions. I think I will try the barefoot shoes once it's dry enough to ditch the wellies!!! As I was walking this morning I tried to imagine the sun on my face but it was quite heavy raindrops instead. I think my vit d will have to come from a bottle for a little while yet. The mindfulness felt quite powerful though despite the weather or perhaps was enhanced by it. It's amazing how many sounds you can hear in a suburban park in the rain. Even the birds were still singing. And the rain made quite a beautiful melody.......
Sometimes feeling the raindrops work as well as sunshine :) It is all about being present.

Just yesterday I got really annoyed by the strong wind blowing my hair all round and into my face. Then I stopped moaning and started to actually pay attention to the feeling and sensation of the wind on my face. It felt much better .. ;)
7 posts Page 1 of 1