12 posts Page 1 of 2
I have found the fastest and easiest way to start Meditating. Jon Kabat-Zinn has taught Mindfullness to people with chronic pain for 30 years. His guided meditations are so straight-foward that you get and understand Mindfulness without trying. No suffering, trying to sort through your thoughts, he guides you thought the whole process. Just listen and while you focus on your breathing.

Start when things are going well - not when you need it. Day by day, you will build up a clarity of mind without knowing it. You will find your whole outlook on life different and better. I reccomend "Mindfulness Meditation for Pain Relief: Guided Practices for Reclaiming Your Body and Your Life"

It's absolutely golden and may well give you back your life.

http://www.amazon.com/Mindfulness-Medit ... 1591797403

Jon Kabat-Zinn

Biography
Kabat-Zinn was born in 1944, to Elvin Kabat, a biomedical scientist, and Sally Kabat, a painter. Kabat-Zinn received his Ph.D. in molecular biology in 1971 from MIT where he studied under Salvador Luria, Nobel Laureate in medicine. Kabat-Zinn is the founder and former Executive Director of the Center for Mindfulness in Medicine, Health Care, and Society at the University of Massachusetts Medical School. He is also the founder (1979) and former director of its renowned Stress Reduction Clinic and Professor of Medicine emeritus at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

Work
His life work has been largely dedicated to bringing mindfulness into the mainstream of medicine and society. Kabat-Zinn is the author or co-author of scientific papers on mindfulness and its clinical applications. He has written two bestselling books: Full Catastrophe Living: Using the Wisdom of Your Body and Mind to Face Stress, Pain, and Illness (Delta, 1991), and Wherever You Go, There You Are: Mindfulness Meditation in Everyday Life (Hyperion, 1994). He co-authored with Myla Kabat-Zinn Everyday Blessings: The Inner Work of Mindful Parenting, (Hyperion, 1997). Other books include Coming to Our Senses (Hyperion, 2005) and his most recent book The Mindful Way Through Depression: Freeing Yourself from Chronic Unhappiness, co-authored with J. Mark G. Williams, John D. Teasdale and Zindel V. Segal (Guilford, 2007).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jon_Kabat-Zinn
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Thanks Alex..I just ordered it!!!
NJMom,

that's great. I can't reccomend it to everyone enough. It seems so simple, but he's been bringing mindfullness to people with illness who would otherwise have no interest, that he makes it so easy.

Please tell me how you like it.
Alex

I just downloaded this... I will listen tonight! I've ben Using George's mp3 guided meditation and have been really appreciating it...
Do tell! I think these guided meditations for pain relief are so good that everyone should try them.

They make it so easy.
Alex

I have started using these, he is good. I have just got to stop falling asleep though!
Do it in the morning where possible.
I love Jon Kabat-Zinn's work. I'm currently re-reading 'Wherever you go there you are' - it is so easy to read - i'd recommend it highly to all.

I haven't tried any of his meditation CD's though - will have to change that :D

shelly
I'll second this; I've been doing some Kabatt-Zinn meditations the last couple of weeks and found them to be absolutely stunning.

If you after a meditation that is not spiritual or "new age" then this is definitely the way to go.

I'll be trying his book at some point too.

Gareth
I read his ,,Wherever you go, there you are" after a year of struggling with meditation. It made me so angry, really. Reading Kabat-Zinn's book really opened my eyes in some respects and I managed to relax. Than I ordered ,,Full living catastrophe" and it opened my eyes in some respects, too. I know I did it the wrong way, as the latter is very good for people who never tried meditating before, but that's how it was meant to happen, I suppose. I don't have the tapes, though, I don't do so well with guided meditations.

edited to correct some typos. sorry for grammar mistakes, too, English is not my native language.
12 posts Page 1 of 2