23 posts Page 2 of 3
I do a deep breathing meditation at bedtime. For me this was the best alternative- no distractions, just the ability to solely concentrate on my breathing. I fall into a relaxed peaceful slumber and relax sleep naturally. It took a couple of nights of tossing around before I concentrated just on the breath. It is simple but it works for me.

Before I was "fighting" the meditation by being so competitive - having to exhale a certain length of time or through my mouth instead of nose etc. Really, just putting more pressure on myself than was needed. My own worse enemy.
I find a little bit of focussing on breathing is a good way to help me get to sleep too :)
This is less a "how-to" tip than an anecdote. Just before my last mri, I'd started experimenting with chanting (in this case, nam myoho renge kyo). In the machine, I started chanting while they scanned my spine. In the midst of all that pounding and clanging, it was positively transformative - even transcendental. Since I only moved my jaw, it didn't interfere with the scan, though I'll ask the techs before trying it during a brain or cervical spine scan.

I also found chanting temporarily relieved my abdominal banding; possibly just the vibrations coursing through my midsection dislodged the tension.
I'm really pleased to have found this thread. I am exploring the forum as a new member and have been surprised that many people mention not liking meditation. So to read and talk from people who get on well with it, grab some ideas and share the enjoyment of it is just what need!

I like starring at a candle light, I find it easier than closing my eyes as that can make me sleepy. Sometimes my eyes close anyway, sometimes not, and most of the time I don't realise if they do or not: I'm on pause! Just have to make sure it's all safe around so that if I'm on pause for a longer time it is still safe...
To avoid falling asleep I mediate seating down, but I use the breathing techniques when I can't sleep and most evening to relax before sleeping.

I hope this thread starts up again, I would find it really pleasant to read.
'The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it'
Chinese proverb.

Babette
I use a meditation pillow to sit on. It helps to keep my spine straight, and makes sitting much more comfortable. My pillow is from Hugger Mugger, but several companies make them.

I also find saying a word or words over and over, to be very helpful..

A friend asked me what type of meditation that I do. She named off several types she studied. I replied,"I just sit and close my eyes." Meditation shouldn't be too complex. You just have to start...and control that monkey mind.

Glad we are talking about meditation!

Jennifer
I think literally sitting in one place with your eyes closed and breathing evenly
is a place to start if the idea of "doing meditation" feels scary, useless, new-agey
or otherwise optional. Start by calling it something else if need be, but remind
yourself that it is not optional.

There is some sunshine today here in Sheffield. A walk to a park bench and a long
sit, with my eyes closed and even breathing...

Smile while you're doing it. That helps.

Sarah
I don't know if this is strange or others experience or have experienced it ?

I find breathing difficult in meditation & it really makes it hard to relax :roll:

Naturally breathing is fine when it's just function but when I focus on breathing it then becomes difficult

especially in guided meditation or even without when my only focus is soley my breath

It's like I'm not getting enough air or I'm breathing too slow or not deep enough or I need to breath faster - I don't know

Hmm don't really know how to explain it but I'm sure if anyone else experiences or has experienced it they would relate ?

Any tips ?
Have you tried doing a "body scan"? Just thinking this may help to have something else to focus on instead of only your breathing? Or similarly you could e.g. think of repeating a mantra, or walk very slowly, focussing on the feeling of your muscles moving and the sole of your foot against the floor
Hi, I guess concentrating on breathing is one way for a lot of people to stop thinking about all the rest of their life. and it's just a step towards 'an empty mind' I think.
I get very little time to read lately but I am loving Iain Gowler and Paul Benson's book on meditation. It starts with : 'Just Seat meditatation' ! I haven't read all on that bit. But I thought of you Tango, if thinking of your breathing disrupts it, maybe ' just seat' would be good I thought!
Good luck, let us know !
'The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the one doing it'
Chinese proverb.

Babette
tango wrote: I don't know if this is strange or others experience or have experienced it ?

I find breathing difficult in meditation & it really makes it hard to relax :roll:

Naturally breathing is fine when it's just function but when I focus on breathing it then becomes difficult

especially in guided meditation or even without when my only focus is soley my breath

It's like I'm not getting enough air or I'm breathing too slow or not deep enough or I need to breath faster - I don't know

Hmm don't really know how to explain it but I'm sure if anyone else experiences or has experienced it they would relate ?

Any tips ?

yes, i can relate to what you describe.

when this happens to me i just keep on breathing and in a few minutes or even faster the breath returns to its normal state.
23 posts Page 2 of 3