6 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi all, my name is Lorna, I'm 30 and I live in Wales, UK.

I have not been officially diagnosed yet but I had what was possibly an MS attack in October. My vision in my left eye was disturbed, and something uncomfortable was happening to the left side of my body.

My symptoms gradually improved and I was pretty much back to normal by February.

I was referred to see a neurologist who recommended an MRI. He also said that I should get my B12 tested.

So I went back to my GP and I then found out that I have a B12 deficiency. My GP said it's not impossible that this caused my symptoms.

However, I received a letter from the neurologist saying that my MRI showed that I have what 'looks like lesions on my brain and cervical cord'. (I'm not sure if he knows about my B12 deficiency)

Ever since then, I've had this headache that I just can't seem to shift.

When I received that letter, I decided to cut out pretty much everything bad from my diet (caffeine, junk food sugar etc) because I just feel desperate to be as healthy as I can now. I'm trying to follow the OMS programme but I don't know if I should've done it more gradually because I've cut out a lot of things my body is probably used to getting, and I'm just panicking about everything I eat which is possibly why I can't get rid of this headache.

I also wondered if anyone knows if an MRI will be enough for a diagnosis?

Any help or advice would be very much appreciated :)

Thank you!
Dear Lorna,
welcome to this forum! I hope you will find it helpful and supportive!

If I remember correctly – but I am not 100 % sure, and I do not have the time to check this right now – just one MRI can be sufficient for diagnosing MS, if this MRI shows one or more “active” lesion(s), which is/are currently being inflamed (marked by bleeding into the brain, which they can see by using the contrast medium) and at the same time one or more “old” and scarred lesion(s). Lesions of these two different stages indicate, that at least two attacks on the brain have taken place. And these two attacks, that have taken place at different times, constitute – if I remember correctly – the criterion for MS.
Can you ask a neurologist to explain your MRI to you?

If you have already made the sudden change in your lifestyle, it wouldn’t help much to turn around again, in order to then introduce change more gradually. I think it is possible, that one of your recent changes (caffein withdrawal?) brought on the headache. But the shock of the diagnosis, all the scary thoughts of what might happen in the future, all the feelings of loss ... may also be to blame for your headache. Please, stay confident, that the headache will pass! And, more importantly, have confidence, that by adopting the OMS lifestyle so soon after (potential) diagnosis will protect your health efficiently, lastingly!

If you want to read some really inspiring, uplifting stories of how MS can be managed, of how people turned around the course of their disease and regained health, I would recommend to you the “Recovering from Multiple Sclerosis” book by Karen Law and George Jelinek.

Best wishes
Zoë
Hi Lorna

Welcome to the OMS community.

In the UK, it would be unusual to diagnose on MRI alone. They will normally do a test on the reaction times of your eyes, numerous blood tests and maybe a lumbar puncture. It's worth having all the tests to rule out any other possible cause.

As for headaches and cutting things out, I agree that caffeine seems the most likely culprit, but you should also consider that it's not just about cutting the bad stuff out - you also need to put good stuff in. Make sure you get enough fresh fruit and veg, wholegrains, flax seed oil, seafood (or other protein soutce) and water.

Hopefully, you have caught this early and will avoid too many symptoms.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Thank you both very much for the replies. Positivity is something that I am genuinely so thankful for at the moment.

Even though I knew deep down MS was a strong possibility, it was still incredibly hard receiving that letter with my MRI results.
And I think I feel more stressed because I've kind of been left in limbo at the moment. It's like I've sort of got an answer/diagnosis but I still have to wait to see my neurologist to discuss what his plan is.

I am also worried about my mum - who is 67. She's basically my best friend as it's always been just the two of us. She's in great health but I don't know how she will cope with this diagnosis because for the last 8-9 months, she has been convincing herself that it could be my B12 deficiency causing my symptoms. Even after getting my MRI results, she's still a bit in denial.

It is life changing and I would be lying if I said I wasn't living in fear a lot of the time, and worrying about my next attack, but I know I have to stop that. And to be honest, finding this forum has been really inspiring, and has already helped me come to terms with it - and try to be more positive about whatever the future holds.

(p.s thank you for the book recommendation, I've ordered it now)
You can also get the main OMS book for free from https://overcomingms.org/resources/over ... rosis-book
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Just ordered. Thank you :)
6 posts Page 1 of 1