6 posts Page 1 of 1
I had urinary retention leading to recurrent uti and cathing was discussed right before they stopped. I have been on the program and feeling happy and well. I do have lhermites and stiffness in my legs but this is mild. My main symptom is bladder with incontinence and it showed up as my second symptom 5 years ago. Yesterday I got a uti. Now I’m looking at cathing and pressure to start a dmd. I had a wish to keep infections at bay long enough for my bladder to recover some function. I’m so down. I have never felt like this before. Feeling so well now so low. I keep reminding myself healing isn’t linear. I take d mannose and cranberry. My diet is excellent and I exercise but I can’t keep the uti away.
D mannose and cranberry worked for me. Are you taking cranberry tablets? Thsy're much stronger than cranberry juice.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Catherirising intermittently as far as I am aware does not prevent normal bladder function to occur alongside, it just ensures that periodically the bladder is emptied.
Geoff how much mannose do you take a day please? I have been using a powder measure in general once a day.

Emily I hope you quash that UTI soon :-)
It’s just the idea of something that seems so extreme. Has anyone used catching and then been able to stop? My bladder problems are so long-standing I hope they can improve.
I get the Sweet Cures D-Mannose tablets. Started with 4000mg a day and then dropped to 2000mg a day after a week (this cleared up infections). After a month, I've dropped to 1000mg a day, but haven't had a urine test yet - having one next week, so will see if the lower dose is working as a maintenance level.
OMS since 17/08/2015
Diagnosis 28/05/2015 - 22/09/2015
Thanks for the response Geoff and I hope you are clear.

Emily I think general physical health of the pelvic floor is useful to have though this is probably not retention related. Please be kind to your self a UTI can happen to anyone not just people with MS. Starting a DMD is a very personal decision you may find lots of useful reading on this site if that is something you are considering. With DMDs it is also useful to read into their potential rebound effects if the drug if stopped.
6 posts Page 1 of 1