8 posts Page 1 of 1
Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed in September 2018 after seeing a neurologist for foot numbness that developed in August. I took a course of prednisone, but did not start any DMD at the time as my husband and I would like to start a family soon. I started to incorporate the OMS diet changes starting in October. I've already lost 10 lbs but was not overweight at the start. My foot numbness resolved and I was feeling better with only occasional episodes of numbness and tingling that would come and go throughout the day. Over the New Year, I started to develop more significant constant numbness in my right arm and burning pain in my right leg. I started another course of steroids today. I just feel pretty discouraged for having another relapse so soon after being diagnosed and starting OMS. I'm trying to incorporate more meditation and daily exercise, even if it's just going for a walk. How long did it take for others to experience improvement with the program?

Blessings!
hi and welcome

I've not been on the OMS protocol for long either(less than 2 months) so can't offer advice on how long it takes...I've seen some say it takes years, some less.

My official diagnosis was Nov 18 and I have yet to start any DMDs as I am waiting for the MS nurse to tell me when they are ready (I chickened out of Tecfidera and chose Copaxone).

I've already had 3 or 4 things go wrong since the unofficial diagnosis in July so I know how you are feeling.

The way I look at this OMS stuff is it's a way of feeling in some kind of control over a condition that is so variable to everyone. Keep in mind it isn't going to "cure" you as such but that and probable use of DMDs will give hope and some kind of control that the majority of people diagnosed 30 years ago would have never have even have. (that always freaks me out when I remember I can recall 30 years ago like yesterday as my eldest daughter is 26 and I wonder how the heck I would have coped with this then!)

I've never believed in positive thinking and trust the medical profession as much as snake oil salesmen, but this OMS has literally turned my thinking around and given me back a modicum of control.

I wish you the best of luck!
Hi there,

I was diagnosed in June 2018 and started OMS in July. I started treatment (Tecfidera) on Halloween.

I lost a lot of weight (30 lbs) but most of this was up front when I Was trying different diets (Wahls and OMS), and still adjusting and learning how to increase my calorie count. My weight has now stabilized and i'm working on putting some back on.

I started to feel much better around November (coincidentally when I started Tecfidera although I do not attribute the improved feeling to that). I do think I may have felt more positive about receiving treatment which does help in a way.

I still have a near constant tingling in my left arm/fingers but I can deal with it. I have not had anything as bad as I felt earlier this year when I had a 6 week long constant headache, lost the feeling of touch on the left side of my neck and most of my arm. So for me I think 3-4 months in I started to feel much better and am still improving.

I have my bad days, moreso emotionally than physically. A couple of days ago I decided to see a therapist. There was nothing groundbreaking here, but just venting stuff to someone really made me feel better. It's something to keep in mind.

There is lots of hope now for a normal life. I wish you all the best! And the OMS community here is fantastic for support and tips.

- Matt
Hiya,
I know that the book says people can be in the process of stabilising their ms for 3-5 years from adopting the programme, but that the benefit can reverse quickly if they wander off course. So, it is super important to stick with it even if you feel it’s not doing anything.
I’ve only been following it a couple of months, and don’t really know if I feel better because of that or because I was improving from my relapses anyway... it’s a leap of faith!
If you’re needing a bit of encouragement, maybe read the chapter about diet, of hope, faith and belief, and the last chapter about recovery in the book? You might find some useful information to add in on a second reading, and those chapters really made me commit to the approach.
Also, remember that 98% of your cells will have been replaced in a year, your body is always changing and wants to heal itself :)

Sending you lots of healing, good luck xx
I’ve been following OMS for the last six years. The first few years were the hardest, I had a few relapses, the time between each getting longer as the years went by.

There were very few short term benefits for me, one being a reduction in fatigue which seemed to be helped when I got my Vitamin D levels right. The Fatigue has continued to improve and now it is no longer much of a problem.

Another short and long term benefit has been the feeling of hope, I believe this has been invaluable in keeping me as healthy as I am today, my recent MRI showed no change since diagnosis.

George has said that it will take 3 – 5 years to stabilise the disease, there will most likely be ups and downs along the way but the trend should be in a positive direction.

If you haven’t read the book you should, another book worth reading is
“Recovering from multiple sclerosis: real life stories of hope and inspiration” which is also by George.

In six years I have not seen anyone leave the OMS forum complaining that the lifestyle does not work, many of the “old timers” post less often and eventually disappear as their MS improves and is less of a burden.

Hope this helps

BG
Hi
I was diagnosed in October 2011. My ms started out pretty aggressively. My first attack left me in hospital for 3 weeks. And then 12 weeks later another one that put me in hospital again for 4 days. I converted to OMS whilst in hospital the first time as someone had given me the book then. My body also felt very weird in the beginning with numbness and different sensations moving all over the body. I slowly implemented all of the necessary changes but really took it to another level after the 2nd attack. I have been left with permanent nerve damage from those attacks but the disease has definitely stabilised as I haven’t had another attack since 2012, For me keeping as fit as I possibly can has helped me so much along with eating extremely healthy. I find swimming the best exercise for me as not only does it keep me fit, it’s very calming on the mind & body. Having ms is a challenge but you do get used to living with it and knowing that you are doing everything you can to be healthy. Fatigue is probably the most annoying symptom I have but being fit definitely helps that.
Take care
SS
Thank you all for your kind words, advice, support! It's great that we are not alone in this journey.
gailjocana wrote: Hi everyone,

I was recently diagnosed in September 2018 after seeing a neurologist for foot numbness that developed in August. I took a course of prednisone, but did not start any DMD at the time as my husband and I would like to start a family soon. I started to incorporate the OMS diet changes starting in October. I've already lost 10 lbs but was not overweight at the start. My foot numbness resolved and I was feeling better with only occasional episodes of numbness and tingling that would come and go throughout the day. Over the New Year, I started to develop more significant constant numbness in my right arm and burning pain in my right leg. I started another course of steroids today. I just feel pretty discouraged for having another relapse so soon after being diagnosed and starting OMS. I'm trying to incorporate more meditation and daily exercise, even if it's just going for a walk. How long did it take for others to experience improvement with the program?

Blessings!

Hang in there Gailjocana. I had to modify the Oms diet to get it to work for me but results should come fairly quickly depending on how inflamed your immune system is. I also had Elisa testing done which helped identify foods that were problematic for me. It was expensive but worth it. If you do decide to get it done make sure you research the company you go with to make sure they are decent at what they do. Stay on the forum its a great resource plenty of info and good people here that are more than willing to help.
8 posts Page 1 of 1