17 posts Page 2 of 2
Thankyou! I knew you would know about this!
No I haven't been tested but about a year ago my doctor recommended eliminating wheat from my diet, which proved a big improvement in my on-going digestive problems. However the last few months I have been considering trying gluten free to see if there would be any further improvement in my general gut health. So here I am and so glad to find that I am not alone in my distaste for rice and soy milk! I had been consuming oats with water. It is really confusing to read that some oats are GF.... I'll have to read more!
Thanks so much for the recipe! I'll have to shop before I can try that one but it sounds nice! Quinoa is one I haven't tried yet so lots of things to try! I think experimentation is really called for here until I come up with a few choices!

Janice, I am curious about Carman's cereal- I had rejected it because of the ingredients. It says it contains conola oil. I have been rejecting that oil. Is that right?
Ingredients:
(All GM free) rice flakes,puffed rice,dried fruit 22%(sultanas,raisins,diced apricots,diced dates)honey,sunflower seeds,almonds,pepitas,canola(rapeseed)oil,hazelnuts,psyllium husks,pecan nuts,cinnamon,natural vanilla

Thanks so much to all who responded! You really are a help.
Judy
I read (somewhere) that although oats are gluten free, they are relatively a new grain and our bodies may respond to them the same way as with gluten. Sounded reasonable to me, although I love them, too. I eat them only on rare occasions.

Btw, what are sultanas? Not a food (fruit?) I've heard of here in the states.
Sultanas are called Golden Raisins in the States
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Judy, you could be right about the sunflower oil in the muesli. I had figured it was a long way down the ingredient list, that it was a very small amount. Everything else I eat is Extra Virgin Olive Oil only or flaxseed(not for cooking).

It is hard to find a good prepared muesli that is gluten free, so I figured a very small amount of oil would be ok.

I went looking at all the oats available in my local supermarket and they ALL say they contain gluten. I know that the Coeliac society say that the jury is still out on whether oats contain gluten themselves or just traces of it in the manufacturing. Does anyone scientific know why is it so hard to know? I understand the issue has been unresolved for a long time.

And yes sultanas are dried grapes, like raisins but plumper. I had no idea that sultanas was not a term used in the US - how surprising!
They say you learn something everyday - that was mine for the day.

Janice
Diagnosis Apr 2010, Coeliac Nov 2010. Procrastinated a bit. Fully OMS Sept 2011.
I only eat steel-cut oats which can be found loose in most good organic / whole food stores. Alot better than the packaging / processing you will find in supermarkets - so i think alot also comes down to your source for the product - only thing is they take a little longer to cook - about 25 minutes on the stove, i cook 2 days worth at a time though so its just a reheat on the second day.

Anyway here is an article re oats & gluten free -

http://www.livestrong.com/article/36627 ... in-gluten/
JaniceB wrote: I went looking at all the oats available in my local supermarket and they ALL say they contain gluten. I know that the Coeliac society say that the jury is still out on whether oats contain gluten themselves or just traces of it in the manufacturing. Does anyone scientific know why is it so hard to know? I understand the issue has been unresolved for a long time.

Nairns do a gluten free oat, either plain or museli, in the UK. Tesco stock it.
Hello all!

Well I have been reading labels, testing recipes and generally discovering that definitely the jury is still out on oats. But I figure if they cause me a problem, then I can't consume them. So sad! But I am trying not to even think about them.

Thanks to those who supplied/ linked recipes - I tried some of them! Does anyone else find buckwheat flour has a rather distinct taste? Funny I can handle it in pancakes but not flat bread. I have thought maybe I made the flat bread too thick and so I will keep experimenting with that.

So currently I am making my own bread (Orgran) and it took me 3 tries before I got it right! (slow learner).

So I think it is a case of keep trying different recipes and do them more than once.

Thankyou all again sooo much!!

Judy
17 posts Page 2 of 2