13 posts Page 1 of 2
I'm considering going gluten free, and was wondering if members have found that it helps and if so, in what ways?

Thanks

chelle x
For me it removed a niggle that it was stone I had not turned over.
I don't and hadn't previously relied on bread heavly in my diet so it was not too hard to make the change.
I went GF about 3+ years ago now and did not make a diary to be able to report exact findings.
Nothing lost in doing a 3 or 6 month trial :)
We tied all of my attacks to times I over-indulged in gluten and have been relapse free since I gave it up in Oct 2010. Other benefits have been no longer have chronic back pain, sinus allergies not as bad, lost weight. I used to eat and drink a ton of gluten so it was very hard at first but has gotten much easier.

Didn't really notice benefits until about three months in. If you're thinking just a week or two, I wouldn't bother.

Best of luck - Bobby V.
Hey Chelle,

I feel much better for giving up gluten.

The change was certainly not by choice. I discovered to my horror that I am gluten intolerant when I gave up gluten for Lent in February. Six weeks later I ate a meal containing gluten and the 'normal' feelings of bloating etc came rushing back. It was an unfortunate situation because giving up gluten was by far the most challenging aspect to changing my diet.

My health is definitely improving on the OMS and most likely going gluten-free has speeded up my recovery. GF is no problem now after 6mths. I was ecstatic recently to find a gluten-free bread that I could make that I like. It is the gluten-free meal & multigrain variety of Laucke brand (Australia) bread mix that is also yeast, dairy free

Unless you are allergic or intolerant to gluten I wouldn't be bothering to go this extra step.
Blessings
Alex

Developed 5 May 2011, Diagnosed 4 Aug 2011, OMS 15 Sept 2011, Gluten-Free 22 February 2012, Recovery declaration 2 September 2014, recanting of recovery declaration due to relapse 14 October 2019.
Hi Chelle,

I also agree, unless you are gluten intolerant I would not recommend going gluten free. I find it to be a huge effort, probably since I am very new at it.

I went to a functional doctor in March, and he told me that he takes all of his auto-immune patients off of glueten to see if they have a sensitivity. I was tested for a gluten allergy and it came back positive.

If you do have a gluten intolerance it might be worth giving up gluten to see how you feel. If you are intolerant, the gluten can damage the lining of your stomach and cause leaky gut syndrome. I am not sure if you are familiar with this. I think some people think this is an important factor in MS and others think its ridiculous. I am not sure how I feel about this yet, still doing my research. I do agree with the others, if you give it up you should do it for a longer period of time. Supposedly, it takes gluten six months to leave your system entriely. This does not mean that you wont start to feel better/different sooner.

The benefits of giving up gluten for me seem to be having more energy and less of a brain fog. This could also be many of the other changes I have made in my life as well. Its hard to tell exactly what is working. Most of all, I belive it is helping so in turn it makes me feel positive. Also, giving up gluten has forced me to cut out anything "white" from my diet which makes me eat even more greens, who knew it was even possible!

This is an intereresting article on how a gluten intolerance can impact your health. It seems a bit dramatic, but it outlines how to find out if you do have a sensitivity.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/dr-mark-h ... 79089.html

Let us know how it goes!

Amanda
Great comments and article Amanda!

Below is a link to a piece that ran in The Lancet which studies instances where gluten presents itself attacking white matter in individuals with no traditional signs of intestinal damage. Even if you are not confirmed gluten intolerant nor have typical celiac symptoms, it might be worth exploring a gluten free diet.

http://www.etseq.urv.es/cdmedics/pdfs/C ... 0brain.pdf
I do find the gluten issue intriguing.

But there are white matter lesions and white matter lesions. here's a paragraph from the paper, where they say that lesions that look like MS have been see in people with gluten insensitivity. It's definitely interesting. To be honest, I've avoided an antibody test for fear of it telling me I was "allergic" to my favourite foods and would have nothing left. My naturopath showed me the profile of one MS patient who was said to be allergic to fish, so I thought that I didn't want to risk that and at the same time was unsure if those tests were valid in any case.

It does seem to indicate that someone with an MS-like disease but no diagnosis, might try GF.

There is no evidence of an increase in prevalence of
gluten sensitivity in patients with relapsing-remitting or
secondary-progressive multiple sclerosis.107,108 Cases of
gradually progressive neurological disease and gluten
sensitivity associated with white matter lesions, both in
the brain and in the spinal cord, indistinguishable from
those seen in patients with multiple sclerosis, have been
described.108,109 Such patients might also have evidence of
peripheral nerve involvement, which is not seen in
primary-progressive multiple sclerosis.108
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
I have been considering to go gluten-free, in the past. I only used 4 sourdough spelt breads, everyday. It has been the only gluten "in my eating". I read a lot; my first enduring symptom has been constipation. I am convinced gluten could be a big part in MY case. I have been eating rice with avocado, tomato, paprika pepper/salt/cayenne/curcuma in the midday (in stead of bread), for 6 weeks some months ago and I loved the food extremely. It's no big deal to try it again; at least for 6-9 months this time.
Tomorrow I am starting; the OMS-program is still standing of course.

Jossi
Well, spelt has gluten also. So we have to avoid it if we go gluten free. Right?

:)
Right, spelt is not GF.

A gluten sensitivity may not show up in the standard tests, but still impact your health without you realising what the cause is, then its cumulative, so you don't notice immediate reactions to foods. If so, a recovery might take more than 6 months for your gut to heal and immune system recover. I think tests have shown G stuff cross gut into bloodstream. If you go GF, some other foods like potatoes are off too, as they contain other substances that have similar effects apparently. Sweet potatoes or yams are ok. Can't remember what else oh maybe you give up caffeine :( for a while, and anything else you suspect of upsetting your tummy while you let your gut heal. Bit of a minefield, but even some neuros accept the emerging leaky gut theory. Tysabri, the most effective DMD is also used for crohns which is gut caused autoimmune problem.
13 posts Page 1 of 2