13 posts Page 1 of 2
Hi All
Is the following a good substitute for sugar?

Brown Sugar
Palm sugar
Evaporated sugar can juice.

I am looking at a good substitute for sugar.

Thanks for your support.

Dharini
It depends what your reasons are for wanting a substitute. Healthwise I'd say none of them are great.
Depending on what you plan to use it for, honey and agave nectar can add sweetness, you might need to adjust recipes which call for granulated sugar, for example agave nectar is usually much sweeter so you need less.

Have fun, Sue
MS dx 1989, OMS Jan 2013
Hi Dharini,

I have chosen to avoid all kinds of sugar. I eat only the natural sugars in fruits (every day).
And sugar in mulberries.
The sugars you mention are no good, in my opinion.

In my younger years I eat soooooo much sugar. Maybe one of the many reasons I got sick.

Jossi
Fresh Dates excellent sweetner.
I use unrefined brown mollasses sugar sometimes.
I just read on "Mercola" the following:

"Sugar consumption also triggers a cascade of chemical reactions in your body that promote chronic inflammation. In the long term, inflammation disrupts the normal functioning of your immune system, and wreaks havoc on your brain".

Jossi
Not surprised and strengthens my approach to only eating whole foods and rarely making sweet stuff with sugar in.
Thanks All. I use honey for my morning ginger juice. But I also note that the recipe section - Bakery recipes have sugar included. Is that ok?
we all know that too much sugar isn't healthy - but suger isn't banned on the OMS programme - it's one of those things that's OK in moderation
And agave nectar is a good choice, because it is low GI - so doesn't mess up your blood sugar levels. It's my sweetener of choice.
13 posts Page 1 of 2