10 posts Page 1 of 1
I've been wondering about this for a long time now. Are low-fat goat or sheep milk products allowed on this diet?
Nobody knows? I guess I'll be sticking to my oats/rice milk :(
Hello Rock Chick, in the absence of a member chipping in: You need to avoid any diary product from any source as they all contain high levels of satuated fat, this includes cows, goats, sheep, buffalo, etc.
Hi Lisa the sat fat issue aside, i understand that the reason we avoid dairy is because of the way some of the protien mimics part of the myelin. The body sets up an immune attack whereby the body recognises the milk protein AND the myelin protien as an invader resulting in potential lesions in the myelin.
Does the goat/sheep dairy carry the same proteins as cow's causing the same immune reaction?
If it does then from that angle it would be unwise to include it in our diets.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Hello Angela, according to a very old piece of research all these 'milks' appear to have the offending protein butyrophilin in them, but they definitely have saturated fats and so should be avoided.
Maybe I can help out. There are a couple of things to consider.

First, Professor Jelinek recommends a plant based diet that also includes fish. There is probably a good reason for this recommendation. The epidemiological research shows that those who eat a plant based diet plus fish live the longest. Those who consume milk do better than red meat eaters but not as well as those who stick with fish.

Second, if you look at http://www.nutritiondata.com and look up both wild caught canned sockeye salmon and milk, for example, you will see that the sockeye salmon wins hands down. It is loaded with helpful Omega-3 fatty acids--especially DHA, which some scientists think may be the most important Omega-3 fatty acid. Also, it has much more vitamin B12 and even a good dose of our very helpful vitamin D.

It seems that non-fat milks are not your worst bet but they are not the best either. For the diet that has stood the test of time, one sticks with a plant based diet that includes fish.

Since I started eating healthy, I've noticed I have only so much room in my stomach. I simply can't get the really healthy stuff I want everyday and still have room for the less than healthy stuff.

Hang in the on the diet and be sure to get enough Vitamin D3 too. If you do nothing else but these two things, you will be 80% of the way home!

It's great that you are following up and trying to really understand this stuff. Knowing the reasons helps you stick with the program.

All the best,

Rebecca
Thank you so much for your replies. I was diagnosed in March this year and started looking up nutrition about a month later. Since May, I've been following some kind of a combination of Swank diet, the BBD and this diet. I'm making sure that I'm keeping my sat. fat as low as possible (about 5-10 grams per day) and my sources of "good" fat are now fatty fish like salmon and sardines, seeds, nuts and oils (mainly olive oil). I've completely cut out red meat (don't miss it), gluten (don't miss it at all), legumes (miss them and I might reintroduce them some day, because I'm not sure there's enough evidence that they are harmful for us) and of course, MILK . I miss it a lot and I don't mean cheese and cream. I miss good old milk and plain low-fat yoghurt. But I am willing to stay away from it, if it's bad for us.

As far as the supplements are concerned, I'm sticking to basics. I've been taking B complex and had an occasional shot of B12 during past 6 months. Recently, my GP got my B12 level tested and he says I now have a few years' supply in my body :) I've also started taking two capsules of D3 (400 IU per capsule) and will continue with it during winter months. I know that Jelinek recommends about 5000 IU per day, but I've got my D level tested and it is a bit above the average, so I guess I'm not deficient. Do you think I should up my dose anyway?

I'm still in the phase of constantly researching and I might make further changes in my diet. But I'm quite sure I won't return to the way I ate before. My digestion is great now (no more pain and weird sounds througout the day) and my body feels better. I've also started taking Copaxone a few months ago, so I'm hoping I've got my bases covered.
Hi Rock_chick

RE: your wondering about normal or above normal D levels this is the reply that George posted to my query when I thought I might take too much - "This is a common cause of misunderstanding. Don't stop the vitamin D if you are told the levels are 'normal'. Being told that the level is 'normal' is not enough. You have to know the actual number, that is exactly what the level is. What is normal for calcium metabolism is not optimal for MS. For MS, the research shows that the level has to be 'high normal'. That is, a normal range is quoted as 75-250nmol/L; if your level is 76 you will be told that is normal, but for MS, it needs to be at least twice this level. The most recent work (see What's New, about high dose vitamin D) shows that those with high normal levels have about 2/3 fewer relapses than those taking standard doses of vitamin D. To get these high normal levels (I recommend above 150nmol/L) most people need to take at least 5,000IU a day, and for some up to 10,000IU a day, depending on your weight, the amount of exercise you do, etc. It then needs to be checked regularly to ensure it doesn't get too high or too low. And these levels are quite safe. People in the tropics have levels about 200-250nmol/L year round (guess what, they don't get MS in the tropics!). Don't be misled when you are told your level is normal; that may still mean you are not at an optimal level for MS. I hope that clears this up."
There are some acticles on the What's New section concerning Vitamin D that you must read. Average norms of Vitamin D levels are not good enough for you, you need to get your levels way up to around 150 nmols (See The Recovery Program). Your diet sounds good, ensure that the oils you use are always unrefined, cold-pressed extra virgin and be sure to take 20mls of fish/flaxseed oil daily. Exercise, meditation and removal of stress will complete your program to optimal wellness.
Thank you both for replying. I'm seeing my GP soon and I will ask him about the exact number. He also said that he could prescribe me Vitamin D drops, if I wanted to up my levels.

I'm using extra-virgin olive oil and eating a varity of nuts. I take about 1 spoon of freshly-ground flax seed per day. I've also started doing yoga to help me relax and swimming to get me in shape.
10 posts Page 1 of 1