9 posts Page 1 of 1
Thanks Kashu !!
Sorry to disappoint! It has skimmed milk in it, which is unfortunately a dairy product and does indeed contain animal protein which is our poison. Don't undo all your good work. The only cheese substitute that is perhaps ok are some of those soy cheeses that are available. I haven't tried them, but they sound terrible.

As someone once told me, if u are going to "compromise" on this diet, that's fine, just don't ever compromise with dairy. I think some of our others members will be able to help you with why this is really a no-no!!!!!

Sorry :(
George's podcast will really help any who have not yet listened to it.
Once you have listened to it you will be able to make an informed choice as to if you are going to have it or not.

http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ess/?cat=3
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
I never, ever, ever have dairy. The evidence is just too convincing for me.

Sorry. And yes, I do really miss cheese. Pizza will never be the same, no matter what I try. And what can we dip your lobster/crab meat in? I have not found a substitute for that.

But, it is totally worth it. My MS symptoms are almost gone.

Shawn
I can't give you a substitute for cheese. There isn't one, and I don't really miss it if I'm honest. However, I am working on a "not-so-cheesy" sauce made with nutritional yeast. It works where you would normally have cheese sauce like on cauliflower or in a fish pie. It's really rather good.

Gareth
I've tried nutritional yeast as a parmesan replacement on a pasta sauce and it's not bad.
With time, I don't miss cheese anymore. I thought it woudn't happen. Still, I may try the yeast. Thanks.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
shawncaroline wrote: And what can we dip your lobster/crab meat in? I have not found a substitute for that.Shawn

This may or may not fit the bill for you, but you can adapt the basic ingredients. I love it as an artichoke dip or substitute for mayo or sour cream -- I don't really measure, just make it as thick or thin as I want.

Garlic-Lemon Yogurt
1 cup unsweetened plain soy yogurt (try Wildwood if it's available near you)
2-3 cloves garlic
zest from 1/2 lemon
juice from 1 lemon
1/2 tsp agave nectar (I use honey to taste)

This is from the phenomenal cookbook Appetite for Reduction by Isa Chandra Moskowitz -- it has complete nutritional info for low-fat vegan recipes.
That sounds yum.
I have been using this recipe where pasta sauce has been called for; I mean to add a bit of yeast flakes to it at some stage to see if that works.
I have also used it for the sauce inside a burrito-type meal and that was delicious.
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=1299&p=6639#p6639
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
9 posts Page 1 of 1