19 posts Page 1 of 2
I am very reactive to fair such as cow's milk, cheese and yogurt

However I wanted to know how far you guys go to avoid dairy? Do you allow yourself a serving sometimes?

My mom makes biryani which requires yogurt, but the yogurt is cooked into the curry, is that still dangerous enough to cause a reaction?
Hello

I avoid all dairy wherever possible, there is always a subsitute you can use, there are dairy free everythings around!! Intially, I didn't like subsitutes (eg in my coffee) but I went without for a while and now I use soya milk. In curries soya milk can also be used.

I know that George says to do everything you can be well and so I follow the 'foods to avoid' precisely. I make absolutely no exceptions. I realised recently that I have been using egg noodles (duh - it's right there written in big letters on the packet!!!) and so I stopped. I don't worry about things that I have done in the past, I am looking to the future and getting well.

I don't actually get an instant reaction to eating dairy but I am sure I do when I miss my omega 3 for more than 2-3 days (I know this as I forgot it on holiday recently). It's obviously up to you how far you go but from experience and from reading everything I can, I would suggest you avoid all dairy.

Catherine
First symptom (of many): May 2009
Started OMS: October 2011
'Inconclusive' diagnosis: January 2012
Decided no diagnosis required: February 2012
I do not eat any dairy at all, cow, goat or sheep. I used to get very itchy skin that cleared up completely when I stopped eating dairy. Once or twice I did eat some dairy that had been used as an ingredient in cooking without realising, and my skin flared up, I hate to think what was going on inside with my MS.

As Catherine says, there are always alternatives. Try biryani without yoghurt, you probably won't even miss it.
Wendy

Diagnosis Dec 1998 OMS Feb 2010 Retreat Feb 2012
Thaks Catherine and Wendy

Thats what I thought as well, I do much better when I stay away from dairy
If you know that you react strongly to dairy, then you should definitely avoid it completely.
Sometimes you don't necessarily get a reaction to dairy that is tangible or manifests itself right away. Dairy has the potential to carry out damage behind the scenes, just like any autoimmune situation. It may not be until some time later when you have a relapse and don't link it to the dairy.

Sometimes it causes no reaction at all; it's like russian roulette most of us are not prepared to spin that dice.
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
Listen to Professor Jelineks podcast on the science behind avoiding dairy and why we shouldn't have any at all.
http://www.overcomingmultiplesclerosis. ... ess/?p=481
Does anyone know the role intestinal permeability plays will dairy absorbtion? If one can correct their intestinal fortitude wouldn't that keep the proteins in your gut and out of your bloodstream thereby limiting the creation and activity of antibodies?
Ok, im confused about Egg Noodles now !!
Eggs are NOT considered dairy......
I thought the reason to avoid eggs is that the yolk has 5gr of saturated fat in it. That is why we can eat egg whites as this has zero sat fat.

There is less than 1gr of sat fat in a portion of egg noodles.

Am I wrong in my thinking here ?
vybbob wrote: Does anyone know the role intestinal permeability plays will dairy absorbtion? If one can correct their intestinal fortitude wouldn't that keep the proteins in your gut and out of your bloodstream thereby limiting the creation and activity of antibodies?

But do you really want to rely on something you can not see to know if it leaking or not.
19 posts Page 1 of 2