10 posts Page 1 of 1
Another good reason to eat a diet low in saturated fats from dairy products! A study has found that mice fed a diet high in saturated milk fats were nearly twice as likely to develop colitis (inflammation of the bowel): http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18432652

Interestingly, the MS treatment Tysabri is also used to treat Crohn's disease - an autoimmune disorder in which the immune system attacks the gut wall. Tysabri blocks alpha-4 integrin - a receptor which T cells use to cross the blood-brain barrier in MS, or the gut wall in Crohn's disease. Like MS, Crohn's disease is caused by a complex mixture of genetic and environmental factors.
Hi Catriona
My dad died from ulcerative colitis 7 years after he had a heart attack, when he was 49. His diet was obviously not brilliant and several people have connected his colitis to my 'possible' MS.
Very interesting, thanks

Catherine
First symptom (of many): May 2009
Started OMS: October 2011
'Inconclusive' diagnosis: January 2012
Decided no diagnosis required: February 2012
I saw that too. As time goes by without another exacerbation, I think about the diet more and more in terms of my overall health and less about for the MS - though that's obviously the main reason.
Alex

Diagnosis: Jan 2010, OMS April 2010.
Speaking of the gut, check out this on mapping bacteria:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/14/healt ... ef=general

I thought it was interesting that babies born by vaginal birth will pick up a different array of bacteria.
Great article, my big take-away was the Vaginal birth thing as well. In the States there has been a huge push for more C-section deliveries to protect the physical health of the mother and child, wonder if this increase has any correllation with the general increases in diseases we are seeing ? ? ? Personally I was c-section, have MS, my sister was vaginal birth, also has MS, maybe overthinking it.
The big blood supply down the body when lying on back gets cut off when pregnant (hence no sleeping on back after first trimester advice), so baby gets distressed in labour, average (more than average) American is over wieght, add that to lying on back my take is almost certain end in CS as baby gets distressed as blood supply compromised as woman on back and not in active standing./moving around labour. In America they tend to favour being on back with legs in stirrups type affair it seems from what I have seen ...
from the npr program: "for humans...we experience early in life training of the immune system based on the microbes that are present", i.e. that training can be impacted by environmental factors such as antibiotics exposure early in life...
Just thinking about the gut a bit more...extreme naval gazing 2.0, haha. I am a total layman with medicine, and have been contemplating things I don't even superficially understand really, so here it goes.

First of all, I find it confusing that if the immune system in a PwMS is confused by milk proteins, why is there a delay until the nervous system for an attack? In other words, why does the immune system not go straight for the proteins in the gut, like what's seen in Celiac disease with gluten?

Could it mean there is a barrier that has been destroyed in the gut in a person with Celiac disease but not in other autoimmune conditions? Could this be a microbe-gut barrier that has lost integrity in a person with Celiac (like "leaky gut," another thing I don't understand, but different somehow because again, why wait for the nervous system)? I have read that there is also a nerve-blood barrier for the peripheral nervous system that is compromised with CIDP which is like the peripheral version of MS.

Moreover, the immune system has to be "trained" when we are young, but are autoimmune conditions the result of improper training or a matter of faulty barriers or both? Is it possible to identify breached barriers (of different forms) for all systems compromised by autoimmune disease within the body? Then when one barrier is breached is it subsequently easier to breach another barrier, i.e. the increased chances of acquiring an additional autoimmune disease if one already has one?

What is the role of gender and hormones from this angle?

With C-sections, could it be that once you start down that road that it is somewhat of the same principle as bioaccumulation of toxins up the food chain, altering genetic integrity one layer at a time, but in this version rather a bio-decumulation of the good, co-evolved, intact bacteria we need passed down from generation to generation with its own unique genetic integrity? It is interesting that we are seeing an increase in C-sections and the use of antibiotics in tandem with autoimmune disease, but I don't think people who can trace MS in their family to, e.g. their grandma's third cousin can also say that there was a C-section in the picture that also relates to them necessarily? Or is it a complex puzzle of susceptibilities that together increase risk?

Preponderance of provincial ponderings...
We may never know but we don't want to hang around for someone to tell us before acting.

I'm no expert but do all autoimmune reactions behave the same ie have the same mechanism?
Dx 1992 OMS 25-2-09
10 posts Page 1 of 1